On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 03:14:30PM +0000, Philip Louis Moetteli wrote:
> Hello,
>

> I have to build a RAID 6 with the following 3 requirements:
>
>       • Use different kinds of disks with different sizes.
>       • When a disk fails and there's enough space, the RAID should be able
> to reconstruct itself out of the degraded state. Meaning, if I have e. g. a
> RAID with 8 disks and 1 fails, I should be able to chose to transform this in
> a non-degraded (!) RAID with 7 disks.
>       • Also the other way round: If I add a disk of what size ever, it
> should redistribute the data, so that it becomes a RAID with 9 disks.
>
> I don’t care, if I have to do it manually.
> I don’t care so much about speed either.
>
> Is BTrFS capable of doing that?

1) Take a look at http://carfax.org.uk/btrfs-usage/ which will tell
   you how much space you can get out of a btrfs array with different
   sized devices.

2) Btrfs's parity RAID implementation is not in good shape right
   now. It has known data corruption issues, and should not be used in
   production.

3) The redistribution of space is something that btrfs can do. It
   needs to be triggered manually at the moment, but it definitely
   works.

   Hugo.

--
Hugo Mills             | We are all lying in the gutter, but some of us are
hugo@... carfax.org.uk | looking at the stars.