On Tue, Oct 25, 2016 at 02:41:44PM -0400, Josef Bacik wrote:
> With anything that populates the inode/dentry cache with a lot of one time use
> inodes we can really put a lot of pressure on the system for things we don't
> need to keep in cache.  It takes two runs through the LRU to evict these one
> use
> entries, and if you have a lot of memory you can end up with 10's of millions
> of
> entries in the dcache or icache that have never actually been touched since
> they
> were first instantiated, and it will take a lot of CPU and a lot of pressure
> evict all of them.
>
> So instead do what we do with pagecache, only set the *REFERENCED flags if we
> are being used after we've been put onto the LRU.  This makes a significant
> difference in the system's ability to evict these useless cache entries.
> With a
> fs_mark workload that creates 40 million files we get the following results
> (all
> in files/sec)

What's the workload, storage, etc?

> Btrfs                 Patched         Unpatched
> Average Files/sec:    72209.3         63254.2
> p50 Files/sec:        70850           57560
> p90 Files/sec:        68757           53085
> p99 Files/sec:        68757           53085

So how much of this is from changing the dentry referenced
behaviour, and how much from the inode? Can you separate out the two
changes so we know which one is actually affecting reclaim
performance?

Indeed, I wonder if just changing the superblock shrinker
default_seeks for btrfs would have exactly the same impact because
that canbe used to exactly double the reclaim scan rate for the same
memory pressure.  If that doesn't change performance by a similar
amount (changing defaults seeks is the normal way of changing
shrinker balance), then more digging is required here to explain why
the referenced bits make such an impact to steady state
performance...

> XFS                   Patched         Unpatched
> Average Files/sec:    61025.5         60719.5
> p50 Files/sec:        60107           59465
> p90 Files/sec:        59300           57966
> p99 Files/sec:        59227           57528

You made XFS never use I_REFERENCED at all (hint: not all
filesystems use find_inode/find_inode_fast()), so it's not clear
that the extra scanning (less than 1% difference in average
throughput) is actuallly the cause of things being slower in btrfs.

> The reason Btrfs has a much larger improvement is because it holds a lot more
> things in memory so benefits more from faster slab reclaim, but across the
> board
> is an improvement for each of the file systems.

Less than 1% for XFS and ~1.5% for ext4 is well within the
run-to-run variation of fsmark. It looks like it might be slightly
faster, but it's not a cut-and-dried win for anything other than
btrfs.

Cheers,

Dave.
--