On Wed, Dec 07, 2016 at 05:15:42PM -0500, Chris Mason wrote:

> On 12/07/2016 04:45 PM, Liu Bo wrote:
> > This has implemented DAX support for btrfs with nocow and single-device.
> >
> > DAX is developed for block devices that are memory-like in order to avoid
> > double buffer in both page cache and the storage, so DAX can performs reads
> > and
> > writes directly to the storage device, and for those who prefer to using
> > filesystem, filesystem dax support can help to map the storage into
> > userspace
> > for file-mapping.
> >
> > Since I haven't figure out how to map multiple devices to userspace without
> > pagecache, this DAX support is only for single-device, and I don't think
> > DAX(Direct Access) can work with cow, this is limited to nocow case.  I made
> > this by setting nodatacow in dax mount option.
>
> Interesting, this is a nice small start.  It might make more sense to limit
> snapshots to readonly in DAX mode until we can figure out how to cow
> properly.

Sounds good and easy to do.

>  I think it can be done, I just need to sit down with the dax code
> to do a good review.
>
> But bigger picture, if we can't cow and we can't crc and we can't
> multi-device, I'd rather let XFS/ext4 sort out the dax space until we pull
> in more of the btrfs features too.

Well, I agree with that, initially I thought dax doesn't fit with
btrfs's expectation as it's mainly used to bypass kernel stuff and
offers a bridge between application and pmem devices, but one benefit I
forgot to mention in the commit log is that btrfs can do DUP metadata
which is mirroring, and it has a slightly bigger chance than ext4/xfs to
get metadata corruption fixed online.

Thanks,

-liubo