Hi everyone,

I'm pleased to announce a new version of my btrfs-dedupe tool, written in rust, available here:

http://btrfs-dedupe.com/

Binary packages built on ubuntu (probably will work elsewhere, but haven't tried this), are available at:

https://dist.wellbehavedsoftware.com/btrfs-dedupe/

This version is considered ready for production use. It maintains a compressed database of the filesystem state, and it tracks file metadata, hashes file contents, and the extent-map contents, in order to work out what needs to be deduplicated.

This is a whole-file deduplication tool, similar to bedup, but since it is written in Rust, and designed to work with the dedupe ioctl, I think it's more suitable for production use.

As normal for open source, this comes without any warranty etc, but the only updates are performed via the defragment and deduplication ioctls, and so assuming they work correctly then this should not cause any corruption.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions/problems.