On Sun, Feb 12, 2017 at 5:07 PM, Chris Murphy <li...@colorremedies.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 10, 2017 at 4:34 PM, John Hendy <jw.he...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> I did a couple of things after I sent this. For one, I ditched
>> arch/root. Now I just have arch. That let me get away from the call to
>> a nested subvol.
>>
>> That on it's own didn't work, but I started playing with the
>> rootflags. I haven't tried one by one, but re-specifying my mount
>> options seems to work. So instead of just rootflags=subvol=arch, I
>> have:
>>
>> rootflags=compress=lzo,subvol=arch,ssd,discard
>>
>> Is there a reason that would make a difference?
>
> The only change that should matter is subvol path change, and I'm not
> even convinced of that. But I don't even know where exactly the
> failure is. It sounds like the failure happens right away and you get
> back to the syslinux menu; that suggests to me the kernel isn't even
> loaded let alone executed, and the boot parameters don't matter until
> the kernel is executed.

Indeed, and see my most recent reply. Unfortunately, I think the issue
might have been paring down extra options (I had some libata.force
stuff), including the loading of intel-ucode at the same time I was
adding explicit rootflags options. Thus, compress=lzo stood out as a
notable change, but I think I overlooked the real culprit which was
intel-ucode. So, as you said, I think the issue was it not even
getting past the bootloader and not what I initially thought.

John