On 2017-02-16 15:36, Chris Murphy wrote:
Hi,

This man page contains a list for pretty much every other file system,
with a oneliner description: ext4, XFS is in there, and even NTFS, but
not Btrfs.

Also, /etc/filesystems doesn't contain Btrfs. Anyone know if either,
or both, ought to contain an entry for Btrfs?

The man-page absolutely should. Ideally, that should be kept in sync with with the mount manpages, but I think they're in separate projects (mount is util-linux IIRC, while filesystems(5) is part of the Linux man-pages project).

As far as /etc/filesystems, that should be irrelevant. Of the big distros, only SUSE, Fedora/CentOS/OEL, and Gentoo use it (I checked Arch, Gentoo, openSUSE, Fedora, Debian, and Ubuntu, which should cover at least 80% of users since this is low enough level derivatives won't be likely to change it), and all it does is dictate what order 'mount -t auto' will try filesystem types in. All the distros that have it have a '*' on the last line, which means to check /proc/filesystems, and therefore will automatically try BTRFS if there's a kernel module for it (unless the module is blacklisted or prevented from being loaded on boot automatically).