I have had some troubles recently using btrfs with kernels >=4.8 when using the cfq scheduler.
Please see my post: http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-btrfs/msg63599.html
I have no problem with kernels < 4.8 or when using the deadline scheduler (or none).

It is possible that the problem I see is a result of a major redesign that happened in March 2016.

So, contrary to most people advising to use very recent kernels, I suggest to try and strike a balance between a kernel that is recent enough to have known bugs fixed but old enough that any recently introduced change has been around for a while and tested.

Regards,
Luca