On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 1:26 PM, Austin S. Hemmelgarn
<ahferro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2017-04-17 14:34, Chris Murphy wrote:

>> Nope. The first paragraph applies to NVMe machine with ssd mount
>> option. Few fragments.
>>
>> The second paragraph applies to SD Card machine with ssd_spread mount
>> option. Many fragments.
>
> Ah, apologies for my misunderstanding.
>>

>> These are different versions of systemd-journald so I can't completely
>> rule out a difference in write behavior.
>
> There have only been a couple of changes in the write patterns that I know
> of, but I would double check that the values for Seal and Compress in the
> journald.conf file are the same, as I know for a fact that changing those
> does change the write patterns (not much, but they do change).

Same, unchanged defaults on both systems.

#Storage=auto
#Compress=yes
#Seal=yes
#SplitMode=uid
#SyncIntervalSec=5m
#RateLimitIntervalSec=30s
#RateLimitBurst=1000

The sync interval sec is curious. 5 minutes? Umm, I'm seeing nearly
constant hits every 2-5 seconds on the journal file; using filefrag.
I'm sure there's a better way to trace a single file being
read/written to than this, but...

>>> Essentially yes, but that causes all kinds of other problems.
>>

>> Drat.
>>
> Admittedly most of the problems are use-case specific (you can't afford to
> lose transactions in a financial database  for example, so it functionally
> has to call fsync after each transaction), but most of it stems from the
> fact that BTRFS is doing a lot of the same stuff that much of the 'problem'
> software is doing itself internally.

Seems like the old way of doing things, and the staleness of the
internet, have colluded to create a lot of nervousness and misuse of
fsync. The very fact Btrfs needs a log tree to deal with fsync's in a
semi-sane way...

--
Chris Murphy