> On 28 Apr 2017, at 22:09, Chris Murphy <li...@colorremedies.com> wrote:
>
> On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 3:10 AM, Christophe de Dinechin
> <dinec...@redhat.com> wrote:
>

>> QEMU qcow2. Host is BTRFS. Guests are BTRFS, LVM, Ext4, NTFS (winXP and
>> win10) and HFS+ (macOS Sierra). I think I had 7 VMs installed, planned to
>> restore another 8 from backups before my previous disk crash. I usually have
>> at least 2 running, often as many as 5 (fedora, ubuntu, winXP, win10, macOS)
>> to cover my software testing needs.
>
> That is quite a torture test for any file system but more so Btrfs.

Sorry, but could you elaborate why it’s worse for btrfs?

> How are the qcow2 files being created?

In most cases, default qcow2 configuration as given by virt-manager.

> What's the qemu-img create
> command? In particular i'm wondering if these qcow2 files are cow or
> nocow; if they're compressed by Btrfs; and how many fragments they
> have with filefrag.

I suspect they are cow. I’ll check (on the other machine with a similar setup)
when I’m back home.

> When I was using qcow2 for backing I used
>
> qemu-img create -f qcow2 -o preallocation=falloc,nocow=on,lazy_refcounts=on
>
> But then later I started using fallocated raw files with chattr +C
> applied. And these days I'm just using LVM thin volumes. The journaled
> file systems in a guest cause a ton of backing file fragmentation
> unless nocow is used on Btrfs. I've seen hundreds of thousands of
> extents for a single backing file for a Windows guest.

Are there btrfs commands I could run on a read-only filesystem that would give
me this information?

Thanks
Christophe