On Fri, May 05, 2017 at 04:24:47PM +0200, David Sterba wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 06:16:21PM -0700, Liu Bo wrote:
> > This attempts to use bio_clone_fast() in the places where we clone bio,
> > such as when bio got cloned for multiple disks and when bio got split
> > during dio submit.
> >
> > One benefit is to simplify dio submit to avoid calling bio_add_page one by
> > one.
> >
> > Another benefit is that comparing to bio_clone_bioset, bio_clone_fast is
> > faster because of copying the vector pointer directly, and bio_clone_fast
> > doesn't modify bi_vcnt, so the extra work is to fix up bi_vcnt usage we
> > currently have to use bi_iter to iterate bvec.
> >
> > Liu Bo (6):
> >   Btrfs: use bio_clone_fast to clone our bio
>
> Please extend the changelog of this patch, use the text in the cover
> letter.

OK.

> >   Btrfs: use bio_clone_bioset_partial to simplify DIO submit
>
> This patch is too big, can you split it to smaller chunks? I was not
> able to review it, it seems to touch several things at once, it's hard
> to keep the context.

Oh I see, the diff does look scary but the changes are in fact not
intrusive, I'll try to do something.

> >   Btrfs: change how we iterate bios in endio
> >   Btrfs: record error if one block has failed to retry
> >   Btrfs: change check-integrity to use bvec_iter
> >   Btrfs: unify naming of btrfs_io_bio
>
> The rest looks ok.
>
> Have you done perofrmance tests? Not that it's necessary, but would be
> interesting to see the effects. The effects of simplified code are
> likely unmeasurable, but the _fast version skips some mempool exercises
> so this could lead to improvements under memory pressure. And these is
> hardly deterministic conditions, could be hard. I'me expecting some
> latency improvemtnest.

I haven't done the perf. test since it is a RFC that I basically hope
to check whether the idea makes sense.

And yes, using bio_clone_fas could save us some memory which is
allocated for bio->bi_io_vec if (nr_iovecs > inline_vecs).

I'll do some tests to see if there is any perf. difference and drop a
notice to intel's test robot if they can do much broader perf. tests
against it.

Thank you for the comments.

Thanks,

-liubo