Hello,

(Warning: I'm a user, not a developer here.)

In my experience (on kernel 4.4) it processed larger and slower devices within a day, BUT according to some recent topics the runaway fragmentation (meaning in this case large number of small extents regardless of their relative location) can significantly slow down BTRFS operations to the point of making them infeasible. Possible reasons for fragmentations are snapshotting volumes too often and/or running VM images from BTRFS without taking some precautions.

On top of this, mount device name makes one suspicious there's another layer between BTRFS and hardware. Are you sure it's not the bottleneck in this case?

--

With Best Regards,
Marat Khalili