For phase-1 the idea was to make btrfs encryption inline with fs/crytpo which wasn't available when it started, so certainly there are things which could straight away filter out after its known what went into fs/crypto from ext4, especially the cryptography part.

Now, 4.10 kernel based, btrfs encryption using fs/crypto is here [1]. It has under gone limited testing by me and yet to arrive at a conclusion on the file-name encryption, though its discussions are here [2], and patches aren't sent out to the BTRFS ML yet.

[1] Phase-1.
  Progs: https://github.com/asj/btrfs-progs-fscryptv1
  Kernel: https://github.com/asj/linux-btrfs-fscryptv1

[2] File name encryption discussions are here:
(I don't see some of the emails I have in the google search, so instead I have listed the subject for your search).
   On the ext4 ML:
    Sub: fs/crypto: file-name encryption, optional ?
    Sub: fs/crypto: root read-access without key

Thanks, Anand