On 07/24/2017 10:25 AM, David Sterba wrote:

Thanks for the extensive historical summary, this change really deserves
it.

Decoupling the assumptions about the device's block management is really
a good thing, mount option 'ssd' should mean that the device just has
cheap seeks. Moving the the allocation tweaks to ssd_spread provides a
way to keep the behaviour for anybody who wants it.

I'd like to push this change to 4.13-rc3, as I don't think we need more
time to let other users to test this. The effects of current ssd
implementation have been debated and debugged on IRC for a long time.

The description is great, but I'd love to see many more benchmarks. At Facebook we use the current ssd_spread mode in production on top of hardware raid5/6 (spinning storage) because it dramatically reduces the read/modify/write cycles done for metadata writes.

If we're going to play around with these, we need a good way to measure free space fragmentation as part of benchmarks, as well as the IO patterns coming out of the allocator.

At least for our uses, ssd_spread matters much more for metadata than data (the data writes are large and metadata is small).

Thanks again,
Chris