On 09/06/2017 08:02 PM, Austin S. Hemmelgarn wrote:
> On 2017-09-06 13:48, Goffredo Baroncelli wrote:
>> On 09/06/2017 07:16 PM, Austin S. Hemmelgarn wrote:
[...]
>>> With the current released code (without these patches), `-r` can be used to
>>> generate a filesystem image that has zero free space.  In that case, step
>>> a3 does not give you a fully working environment,
>>
>> True, this doesn't *give* you a filly working environment, _but_ you perform
>> the step a3 in a "fully working environment", an you have at hand the target
>> disk..
> You could just as easily be booted into a minimalistic install environment,
> and if you netbooted that, then it's pretty likely that you want it as small
> as possible, and not needing tar or btrfs-progs for the actual install will
> save a lot of space (multiple MB doesn't sound like much, but when you're
> dealing with a tiny system to begin with, it can be very significant).

Step a3 need to have access to the raw disk image build at step1; this is quite
incompatible with a "minimalistic install environment"; and even if you have
access it via net, in the same way you can have access to a fully working
environment....

[...]

>>> The current release, without these patches, run using a non-existent file
>>> and the `-r` option, will produce a filesystem image of the exact size
>>> needed to hold everything in the directory passed to `-r`.  It doesn't
>>> require truncation unless used on a file that already exists.
>>
>> Of course the truncate is not needed, because you are using a sparse file.
>> But if you use a sparse file..... it is not even needed the shrinking!
>> Because the file will consume the same space on the disk !

> Unless you want to use the file elsewhere.  It's a pretty rare occurrence
> outside of testing that you generate a filesystem image and use it as-is
> without transferring it somewhere (usually onto an actual storage device).
> Once you're talking about moving it, whether or not the file itself is sparse
> usually doesn't matter, especially if the file is leaving the local system by
> some means other than NFS or rsync.

????
If you don't truncate you have the full-image in any case....

> --

gpg @keyserver.linux.it: Goffredo Baroncelli <kreijackATinwind.it>
Key fingerprint BBF5 1610 0B64 DAC6 5F7D  17B2 0EDA 9B37 8B82 E0B5