On Tue, Oct 03, 2017 at 06:06:04PM +0300, Timofey Titovets wrote:
> At now btrfs_dedupe_file_range() restricted to 16MiB range for
> limit locking time and memory requirement for dedup ioctl()
>
> For too big input rage code silently set range to 16MiB
>
> Let's remove that restriction by do iterating over dedup range.
> That's backward compatible and will not change anything for request
> less then 16MiB.

This would make the ioctl more pleasant to use. So far I haven't found
any problems to do the iteration. One possible speedup could be done to
avoid the repeated allocations in btrfs_extent_same if we're going to
iterate more than once.

As this would mean the 16MiB length restriction is gone, this needs to
bubble up to the documentation
(http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man2/ioctl_fideduperange.2.html)

Have you tested the behaviour with larger ranges?