On 2017-10-24 10:12, Andrei Borzenkov wrote:
On Tue, Oct 24, 2017 at 2:53 PM, Austin S. Hemmelgarn
<ahferro...@gmail.com> wrote:

SLES (and OpenSUSE in general) does do something special though, they use
subvolumes and qgroups to replicate multiple independent partitions (which
is a serious pain in the arse), and they have snapshotting with snapper by
default as well.  On OpenSUSE at least you can dispense with all that crap
by telling the installer to not enable snapshot support, not sure about SLES
though.

SUSE is using so many subvolumes because
a) it wants to use snapshot of operating system to enable rollback
b) data that needs to be part of snapshot includes RPM database
c) RPM database is located on /var

So they were forced to make /var part of root subvolume and explicitly
exclude everything below /var by making it separate subvolumes.

Fortunately it is going to change now with both RH and SUSE moving RPM
database under /usr. Which leaves you basically with / and /var as
default subvolumes.

And /tmp, and /opt, and /usr/local, etc. With /var as one subvolume, I still count at least 8.

That said, the issue I have with it is not as much the number, as the choice of layout (the whole /@ crap is ridiculous), and the fact that qgroups are enabled by default and not very well documented anywhere that I could find (seriously, this needs to be better documented, it took me an hour despite my background with BTRFS and as a system administrator to figure out why I couldn't fill the disk completely anywhere to wipe free space with zeroes so I could compact the disk image for the VM I was using).