Well it looks like things have stabilized....for the
moment at least.

$ btrfs scrub start --offline --progress /dev/disk/by-id/XX3
Doing offline scrub [o] [681/681]
Scrub result:
Tree bytes scrubbed: 5234425856
Tree extents scrubbed: 638968
Data bytes scrubbed: 4353724284928
Data extents scrubbed: 374300
Data bytes without csum: 533200896
Read error: 0
Verify error: 0
Csum error: 0

$ sudo btrfs scrub start --offline --progress /dev/disk/by-id/XX3
Doing offline scrub [o] [681/681]
Scrub result:
Tree bytes scrubbed: 5234425856
Tree extents scrubbed: 638968
Data bytes scrubbed: 4353724284928
Data extents scrubbed: 374300
Data bytes without csum: 533200896
Read error: 0
Verify error: 0
Csum error: 0

$ sudo btrfs send /mnt/dataroot.2017.10.21 | pv -i2 > /dev/null
At subvol /mnt/dataroot.2017.10.21
1.55TiB 1:38:46 [ 283MiB/s] [         <=>                               ]

One interesting note is that when the --offline scrub came back with
Csum errors, sometimes the Tree bytes scrubbed were different:

Tree bytes scrubbed: 5234491392 #bad
vs
Tree bytes scrubbed: 5234425856 #good

The hardware is a Q6600 (the first Core2 Quad @2.4GHz) and a dell PERC
6/i card flashed with IT mode.

*** 2 days have past since I wrote the above
I checked my overclock and sure enough I had the FSB boosted, CPU
reaching ~2.9 GHz. The PCI were held at a constant freq but I bet
there was some bad interaction with the PERC. I don't know why the
system chose to be stable 2 days ago before resetting the overclock,
but I am very confident it will stay that way now.

Takeaways:

1. I came to btrfs because upon manual hash comparison I noticed bit
flips occurring. Now I have very likely found the source of the issues
thanks to btrfs and I can also be more confident against those issues
in the future.

2. A stable memtest86+ doesn't necessarily mean a stable storage stack