On 2017-11-16 10:38 PM, Qu Wenruo wrote:

On 2017年11月17日 11:56, Jay wrote:
Hello,

I thought I should report something since there was little information
on this error. The situation is I have 2 external hard drives on
Xubuntu. One is not working and I need to move the data over to the
other.

"btrfs replace" should be your first option, not "btrfs restore", unless
it's totally damaged and you want to salvage as much as possible.

OK, thank you.

I used 'sudo btrfs restore -v /dev/sde1 /mnt/Old4TB' and
received 'Error mkdiring /mnt/Old4TB/Jayda TV:2'.

No extra info like something restored succefully? Just 'Error mkdiring
/mnt/Old4TB/Jayda TV:2'?

Correct, the program just exited.

At least it's ENOENT, checking mkdir(3p) should gives your the reason:
---
        ENOENT A  component  of the path prefix specified by path does
not name
               an existing directory or path is an empty string.

---

Did the dir "/mnt/Old4TB" exists in first place?

I see, errno was set to 2; ENOENT. Thank you. Yes, Old4TB is a drive that is auto mounted on boot to that permanent mount point. I was able to create a folder on that drive using both mkdir and sudo mkdir. Maybe the btrfs-progs Ubuntu package is not configured correctly... although the forum post shows at lest one other person has had this same error. I am not sure what distro they were using.

Thanks,
Qu

I found one forum
post that said I needed to make the destination folder manually, then
restore. That did not work. looking at your code 2(%d) is a kernel
message? not sure what to make of it. I decided to enter a root
environment with 'sudo su' and the restore worked(the folder still
existed from previous troubleshoot step). The console is showing files
being restored. I tried a dry run first which did not show an error.
Just some feedback and reference.

uname -a

Linux emb 4.10.0-38-generic #42-16.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Tue Oct 10 16:21:20
UTC 2017 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

btrfs --version

btrfs-progs v4.4

Thank you,