On Tue, Dec 19, 2017 at 9:14 AM, Hans van Kranenburg
<hans.van.kranenb...@mendix.com> wrote:
> Just wild first guess... are you also using btrfs send/receive
> functionality where the system having problems is the sending part?

No.

>>> Every night I'm getting a kernel hang, sometimes caught by my
>>> watchdog, sometimes not.  Last night's hang was on the balance of DATA
>>> on / at 70.
>>>
>>> I'm not sure how to further trace this down to help you -- the console
>>> by the time I notice just has lots of messages on it without the
>>> initial ones.
>
> Capturing more logs is definitely the first thing to do.
>
> Look if the output of `dmesg` still shows the btrfs errors. Otherwise,

But I can't ...  I have to hit the reset button (or the watchdog does)
before I can get into the system again.

> if something is spamming there, turn that off, or if you don't have the
> errors in a log file because the log files are on the same btrfs, then
> you have to find out another way to capture them. E.g. make the kernel
> buffer for messages bigger, use netconsole or just pragmatic things like
> ssh from another server and `dmesg -w` and store it on the other machine.

Ah... yes, a permanent connection from another might work.

I also have a pfsense box -- I think it can take a syslogd daemon.
Maybe I can netconsole to it?

Will investigate.