On 2018年01月15日 00:36, evan d wrote:
> I removed two partitionless Btrfs formatted drives from an Arch Linux
> based PC and installed them in another Linux based PC also running
> Arch.  The drives are independent of one another, each containing its
> own Btrfs filesystem.  Both machines are running recent kernels and
> the original host would be running whatever kernel was current in Arch
> on 1 Jan 2018.
>
> lsblk shows the two drives as partitionless as I'd expect, but
> attempting to mount them returns an error saying they're not
> recognised and btrfs filesystem show /dev/sdX also returns that the
> devices do not contain a Brtfs partition.  1 Jan 2018 was the last
> time I accessed these drives, which were mounted via the first
> machine's fstab.
>
> blkid returns PTTYPE="PMBR" for both.
>
> For the current machine:
> uname -a returns:
> Linux ryzen 4.14.13-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Jan 10 11:14:50 UTC 2018
> x86_64 GNU/Linux

Nice to see another Ryzen system. :)

> btrfs --version returns:
> btrfs-progs v4.14
>

> Any ideas what could have gone wrong here?  I'm  hoping that
> reinserting them in the original machine may allow me to access the
> underlying data again, but that machine is in another country at
> present.

btrfs inspect dump-super -Ffa will help us to determine if it's still a
btrfs filesystem.

And it's also recommended to use grep to find the btrfs magic in the
beginning several MB range to ensure there is no offset screwing up fs
detection:

dd if=<device> of=/tmp/output bs=1M count=128
grep -obUaP "\x5F\x42\x48\x52\x66\x53\x5F\x4D" /tmp/output

Thanks,
Qu