Rosen Penev posted on Fri, 19 Jan 2018 13:45:35 -0800 as excerpted:

> v2: Add proper subject

=:^)

> I've been playing around with a specific kernel on a specific device
> trying to figure out why btrfs keeps throwing csum errors after ~15
> hours. I've almost nailed it down to some specific CONFIG option in the
> kernel, possibly related to IRQs.
>
> Anyway, I managed to get my btrfs RAID5 array corrupted to the point
> where it will just mount to read-only mode.

[...]

> This is with version 4.14 of btrfs-progs. Do I need a newer version or
> should I just reinitialize my array and copy everything back?
>
> Log on mount attached below:

[...]

> Fri Jan 19 14:26:08 2018 kern.warn kernel:
> [168383.378239] CPU: 0 PID:
> 2496 Comm: kworker/u8:2 Tainted: G        W       4.9.75 #0

Tho as the penultimate LTS kernel series 4.9 is still on the btrfs-list
supported list in general... 4.9 still had known btrfs raid56 mode issues
and is strongly negatively recommended for use with btrfs raid56 mode.
Those weren't fixed until 4.12, which /finally/ brought raid56 mode into
generally working and not negatively recommended state.

While as an LTS applicable general btrfs bug fixes would be backported to
4.9, because raid56 mode had never worked /well/ at that point, I'm not
sure those fixes were backported.

So you really need either kernel 4.12+, presumably the LTS 4.14 series
since you're on LTS 4.9 series now, for btrfs raid56 mode, or don't use
raid56 mode if you plan on staying with the 4.9 LTS, as it still had
severe known issues back then and I haven't seen on-list confirmation
that the 4.12 btrfs raid56 mode fixes were backported to 4.9-LTS.

If you need/choose to stick with 4.9 and dump raid56 mode, the
recommended alternative depends on the number of devices in the
filesystem.

For a small number of devices in the filesystem, btrfs raid1 is
effectively as stable as the still stabilizing and maturing btrfs itself
is at this point and is recommended.

For a larger number of devices, btrfs raid1 is still a good choice
because it /is/ the most mature, but btrfs raid10 is /reasonably/ stable
tho IMO not quite as stable as raid1, or for better performance (due to
btrfs raid10 not being read-optimized yet) while keeping btrfs
checksumming and error repair from the second copy when available,
consider a layered approach, with btrfs raid1 on top of a pair of mdraid0s
(or dmraid0s, or hardware raid0s).