On 03/21/2018 12:47 PM, Austin S. Hemmelgarn wrote:
> I agree as well, with the addendum that I'd love to see a new ioctl that does
> proper permissions checks.  While letting rmdir(2) work for an empty
> subvolume with the appropriate permissions would be great (it will let rm -r
> work correctly), it doesn't address the usefulness of being able to just
> `btrfs subvolume delete` and not have to wait for the command to finish
> before you can reuse the name.

How this could work ?

If you want to check all the subvolumes files permissions, this will require
some time: you need to traverse all the subvolume-filesystem; and only if all
the checks are passed, you can delete the subvolume.

Unfortunately I think that only two options exist:
- don't check permissions, and you can quick remove a subvolume
- check all the permissions, i.e. check all the files permissions, and only if
all the permissions are OK, you can delete the subvolume. However this cannot
be a "quick" subvolume delete

BR
G.Baroncelli

--
gpg @keyserver.linux.it: Goffredo Baroncelli <kreijackATinwind.it>
Key fingerprint BBF5 1610 0B64 DAC6 5F7D  17B2 0EDA 9B37 8B82 E0B5