Hi
On 05/02/2018 03:47 AM, Duncan wrote:
> Gandalf Corvotempesta posted on Tue, 01 May 2018 21:57:59 +0000 as
> excerpted:
>
>> Hi to all I've found some patches from Andrea Mazzoleni that adds
>> support up to 6 parity raid.
>> Why these are wasn't merged ?
>> With modern disk size, having something greater than 2 parity, would be
>> great.
> 1) [...] the parity isn't checksummed, ....

Why the fact that the parity is not checksummed is a problem ?
I read several times that this is a problem. However each time the thread
reached the conclusion that... it is not a problem.

So again, which problem would solve having the parity checksummed ? On the best
of my knowledge nothing. In any case the data is checksummed so it is
impossible to return corrupted data (modulo bug :-) ).

On the other side, having the parity would increase both the code complexity
and the write amplification, because every time a part of the stripe is touched
not only the parity has to be updated, but also the checksum has too..

BR
G.Baroncelli

--
gpg @keyserver.linux.it: Goffredo Baroncelli <kreijackATinwind.it>
Key fingerprint BBF5 1610 0B64 DAC6 5F7D  17B2 0EDA 9B37 8B82 E0B5