Unfortunately that doesn't appear to be it, a forced restart and
attempted to mount with skip_balance leads to the same thing.

20 minutes in btrfs-transactio had a large burst of reads then started
spinning the CPU with the disk idle.

Is this recoverable? I could leave it for a day or so if it may make
progress, but if not I'd like to start on other options.