On 29/08/2018 21.02, Austin S. Hemmelgarn wrote:
> On 2018-08-29 13:24, Axel Burri wrote:
>> This patch allows to build distinct binaries for specific btrfs
>> subcommands, e.g. "btrfs-subvolume-show" which would be identical to
>> "btrfs subvolume show".
>>

>> Motivation:
>>
>> While btrfs-progs offer the all-inclusive "btrfs" command, it gets
>> pretty cumbersome to restrict privileges to the subcommands [1].
>> Common approaches are to either setuid root for "/sbin/btrfs" (which
>> is not recommended at all), or to write sudo rules for each
>> subcommand.
>>
>> Separating the subcommands into distinct binaries makes it easy to set
>> elevated privileges using capabilities(7) or setuid. A typical use
>> case where this is needed is when it comes to automated scripts,
>> e.g. btrbk [2] [3] creating snapshots and send/receive them via ssh.
> Let me start by saying I think this is a great idea to have as an
> option, and that the motivation is a particularly good one.
>
> I've posted my opinions on your two open questions below, but there's
> two other comments I'd like to make:
>
> * Is there some particular reason that this only includes the commands
> it does, and _hard codes_ which ones it works with?  if we just do
> everything instead of only the stuff we think needs certain
> capabilities, then we can auto-generate the list of commands to be
> processed based on function names in the C files, and it will
> automatically pick up any newly added commands.  At the very least, it
> could still parse through the C files and look for tags in the comments
> for the functions to indicate which ones need to be processed this way.
> Either case will make it significantly easier to add new commands, and
> would also better justify the overhead of shipping all the files
> pre-generated (because there would be much more involved in
> pre-generating them).

It includes the commands that are required by btrbk. It was quite
painful to figure out the required capabilities (reading kernel code and
some trial and error involved), and I did not get around to include
other commands yet.

I like your idea of adding some tags in the C files, I'll try to
implement this, and we'll see what it gets to.

> * While not essential, it would be really neat to have the `btrfs`
> command detect if an associated binary exists for whatever command was
> just invoked, and automatically exec that (possibly with some
> verification) instead of calling the command directly so that desired
> permissions are enforced.  This would mitigate the need for users to
> remember different command names depending on execution context.

Hmm this sounds a bit too magic for me, and would probably be more
confusing than useful. It would mean than running "btrfs" as user would
work when splitted commands are available, and would not work if not.