On Sat, Sep 1, 2018 at 1:03 AM, Pierre Couderc <pie...@couderc.eu> wrote:

> On 08/31/2018 08:52 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:
>>

>> Bad sector which is failing write. This is fatal, there isn't anything
>> the block layer or Btrfs (or ext4 or XFS) can do about it. Well,
>> ext234 do have an option to scan for bad sectors and create a bad
>> sector map which then can be used at mkfs time, and ext234 will avoid
>> using those sectors. And also the md driver has a bad sector option
>> for the same, and does remapping. But XFS and Btrfs don't do that.
>>
>> If the drive is under warranty, get it swapped out, this is definitely
>> a warranty covered problem.
>>

> Thank you very much.
>
> Once upon a time...(I am old), there were lists of bad sectors, and the
> software did avoid wrting in them. It seems to have disappeared. For which
> reason ? Maybe because these errors occur so  rarely, that it is not worth
> the trouble ?

For > 10 years drive firmware handles bad sector remapping internally.
It remaps the sector logical address to a reserve physical sector.

NTFS and ext[234] have a means of accepting a list of bad sectors, and
will avoid using them. Btrfs doesn't. But also ZFS, XFS, APFS, HFS+
and I think even FAT, lack this capability. I'm not aware of any file
system that once had bad sector tracking, that has since dropped the
capability.

--
Chris Murphy