Sterling Windmill wrote:
Out of curiosity, what led to you choosing RAID1 for data but RAID10
for metadata?

I've flip flipped between these two modes myself after finding out
that BTRFS RAID10 doesn't work how I would've expected.

Wondering what made you choose your configuration.

Thanks!
Sure,

The "RAID"1 profile for data was chosen to maximize disk space utilization since I got a lot of mixed size devices.

The "RAID"10 profile for metadata was chosen simply because it *feels* a bit faster for some of my (previous) workload which was reading a lot of small files (which I guess was embedded in the metadata). While I never remembered that I got any measurable performance increase the system simply felt smoother (which is strange since "RAID"10 should hog more disks at once).

I would love to try "RAID"10 for both data and metadata, but I have to delete some files first (or add yet another drive).

Would you like to elaborate a bit more yourself about how BTRFS "RAID"10 does not work as you expected?

As far as I know BTRFS' version of "RAID"10 means it ensure 2 copies (1 replica) is striped over as many disks it can (as long as there is free space).

So if I am not terribly mistaking a "RAID"10 with 20 devices will stripe over (20/2) x 2 and if you run out of space on 10 of the devices it will continue to stripe over (5/2) x 2. So your stripe width vary with the available space essentially... I may be terribly wrong about this (until someones corrects me that is...)