From: Omar Sandoval <osan...@fb.com>

Hello,

This series adds a way to write compressed data directly to Btrfs. The
intended use case is making send/receive on compressed file systems more
efficient; however, the interface is general enough that it could be
used in other scenarios. Patch 5 is the main change; see that for more
details.

Patches 1-3 are small fixes/cleanups that I ran into while implementing
this; they should go in regardless of the remainder of the series. Patch
4 exports a required VFS interface.

An example program and test case are available at [1].

To preemptively address a few concerns:

- Writing arbitrary, untrusted data which we feed to the decompression
  algorithm can be a security risk. For that reason, the ioctl is
  restricted to CAP_SYS_ADMIN. The Btrfs code is properly hardened
  against invalid compressed data/incorrect lengths, and the compression
  libraries are mature, but better safe than sorry for now.
- If the user is writing their own compressed data rather than just
  blindly feeding in something from btrfs send, they need to know some
  implementation details about the compression format. For zlib, there
  are no special requirements. For zstd, a non-default compression
  parameter must be used. For lzo, we have our own wrapper format since
  lzo doesn't have a standard wrapper format. It feels a little wrong to
  expose these details, but they are part of the on-disk format, so they
  must be stable regardless.
- The permissions checks duplicated from the VFS code are fairly
  minimal.

This series is based on misc-next.

This is an RFC, so please, comment away.

Thanks!

1: https://github.com/osandov/xfstests/tree/btrfs-compressed-write

Omar Sandoval (5):
  Btrfs: use correct count in btrfs_file_write_iter()
  Btrfs: treat RWF_{,D}SYNC writes as sync for CRCs
  Btrfs: stop clearing EXTENT_DIRTY in inode I/O tree
  fs: export rw_verify_area()
  Btrfs: add ioctl for directly writing compressed data

 fs/btrfs/compression.c       |   6 +-
 fs/btrfs/compression.h       |  14 +--
 fs/btrfs/ctree.h             |  12 ++
 fs/btrfs/extent_io.c         |   6 +-
 fs/btrfs/file.c              |  22 ++--
 fs/btrfs/free-space-cache.c  |   9 +-
 fs/btrfs/ioctl.c             | 101 ++++++++++++++-
 fs/btrfs/tests/inode-tests.c |  12 +-
 fs/internal.h                |   5 -
 fs/read_write.c              |   1 +
 include/linux/fs.h           |   1 +
 include/uapi/linux/btrfs.h   |  63 ++++++++++

2.17.1