[...]
>> I'm curious if either 2 or 3 are permitted.
>>

> Wish I could help, but I already deleted the file. If there's something
> I can do to move this forward, I'd be glad to.

Maybe it's too late to mention, in fact "btrfs check" has the ability to
find such problem.

"btrfs check" has two modes, original mode (the default one) and lowmem
mode.
The latter is mostly written from scratch, thus it has more strict check
rules (not to mention it uses less memory while will be much slower as
it causes more IO).

If you're not sure if those inodes are the only offending ones, then you
can try "btrfs check --mode=lowmem --readonly" to verify.

The support for original mode will come very soon.

Thanks,
Qu