On Sat, Oct 19, 2019 at 12:18 AM Supercilious Dude
<supercilious.d...@gmail.com> wrote:

> It would be be useful to have the ability to scrub only the metadata. In many
> cases the data is so large that a full scrub is not feasible. In my "little"
> test system of 34TB a full scrub takes many hours and the IOPS saturate the
> disks to the extent that the volume is unusable due to the high latencies.
> Ideally there should be a way to rate limit the scrub operation so that it
> can happen in the background without impacting the normal workload.

In effect a 'btrfs check' is a read only scrub of metadata, as all
metadata is needed to be read for that. Of course it's more expensive
than just confirm checksums are OK, because it's also doing a bunch of
sanity and logical tests that take much longer.

--
Chris Murphy