Zygo Blaxell wrote:
On Fri, Jan 15, 2021 at 10:32:39AM +0100, waxhead wrote:
Zygo Blaxell wrote:

commit
space_cache / nospace_cache
sdd / ssd_spread / nossd / no_ssdspread

How could those be anything other than filesystem-wide options?

Well being me, I tend to live in a fantasy world where BTRFS have complete
world domination and has become the VFS layer.
As I have nagged about before on this list - I really think that the only
sensible way forward for BTRFS (or dare I say BTRFS2) would be to make it
possible to assign "storage device groups" where you can make certain btrfs
device ids belong to group a,b,c, etc...

And with that it would be possible to assign a weight to subvolumes so that
they would be preferred to be stored on group a (SSD's perhaps), while other
subvolumes would be stored mostly or exlusively on HDD's, Fast HDD's,
Archival HDD's etc... So maybe a bit over enthusiastic in thinking perhaps ,
but hopefully you see now why I think it is right that this is not
filesystem-wide , but subvolume baseed properties.

Sure, that's all wonderful, but it has nothing to do with any of those
mount options.  ;)

commit sets a timer that forces a filesystem-wide sync() every now
and then.  space_cache picks one of the allocator implementations, also
for the entire filesystem.  ssd and related options affect the behavior
of the metadata allocator and superblocks.

Ok I understand the space_cache, but commit (the way I understand it) could be useful to keep stuff in memory for longer for certain subvolume. ssd options could also be useful pr. subvolume *if* and that is a big if BTRFS sometime in the far future allows for storage device groups. However when that happens maybe everything is solid state , who knows ;)

discard / nodiscard

Maybe, but probably requires too much introspection in a fast path (we'd
have to add a check for the last owner of a deleted extent to see if it
had 'discard' set on some parent level).

On the other hand, I'm in favor of deprecating the whole discard option
and going with fstrim instead.  discard in its current form tends to
increase write wear rather than decrease it, especially on metadata-heavy
workloads.  discard is roughly equivalent to running fstrim thousands
of times a day, which is clearly bad for many (most?  all?) SSDs.

It might be possible to make the discard mount option's behavior more
sane (e.g. discard only full chunks, configurable minimum discard length,
discard only within data chunks, discard only once per hour, etc).

Interesting, it might as well make sense to perhaps use the free space cache
and a slow LRU mechanism e.g. "these chunks has not been in use for 64
hours/days" or something similar.

That would add more writes, as the free space cache is an on-disk entity.
It might make sense to maintain a 'discard tree', which lists extents
that have been freed but not yet discarded or overwritten, to make fstrim
more efficient.  This wouldn't have to be very precise, just pointing to
general regions of the disk (maybe even entire block groups) so fstrim
doesn't issue discards to idle areas of the disk over and over.

Currently the discard extent list is stored in memory, so doing one
discard per T time units would use more memory.  This feature would be
like discard=async, but 1) it would hold on to the pinned extents for a
few hundred transactions instead of just one or two (subject to memory
availability), and 2) it would be able to reclaim space from the discard
list as free space, thus removing the need to issue a discard at all.

But that's really complicated, considering that a cron job that runs
fstrim once an hour can do the same thing without all the complexity.
On the other hand, I just ran fstrim on a test machine and it took
34 minutes, so maybe some complexity might be useful after all... :-O

Thanks for the education. Inspired by this I ran fstrim on my main machine with 7 older and smaller SSD's. Have not run fstrim on it or maybe a year so it took 15-20 minutes to do. But I see your point. Minimizing writes to SSD's is a good thing, but if I am not mistaking SMR disks can benefit from discard as well, I don't know the details but maybe it would be more beneficial on real disks than SSD storage?

compress / compress-force
datacow / nodatacow
datasum / nodatasum

Here's where I prefer the mount option over the more local attributes,
because I'd like filesystem-level sysadmin overrides for those.
i.e. disallow all users, even privileged ones, from being able to create
files that don't have csums or compression on a filesystem.

Then how about a mount option that allow only root to do certain things?
e.g. a security restriction.

No, I don't want root doing those things either.  Most of the applications
I want to bring to heel are already running as root.

Basically I want to say "every file on this filesystem shall be datacow
and datasum" and (short of altering the mount option) no other kind of
file can be created.

It might possibly make more sense to do this through tunefs--that way the
filesystem couldn't ever have nodatacow files (new kernels would refuse,
old kernels wouldn't be able to mount through a new feature flag).

Allrighty point taken.

user_subvol_rm_allowed

I'd like "user_subvol_create_disallowed" too.  Unprivileged users can
create subvols, and that breaks backups that rely on atomic btrfs
snapshots.  It could be a feature (it allows users to exclude parts of
their home directory from backups) but most users I've met who have
discovered this "feature" the hard way didn't enjoy it.

Historically I had other reasons to disallow subvol creates by
unprivileged users, but they are mostly removed in 4.18, now that 'rmdir'
works on an empty subvol.

Again see above...

Here, unlike above, I was already asking precisely for subvol create to
be made root only.

That, or make snapshots recursive and atomic to avoid the accidental
user data loss/corruption case.

Allrighty again! :)