On Wed, Jan 27, 2021 at 1:57 AM Alexey Isaev <a.is...@rqc.ru> wrote:

> kernel version:
>
> aleksey@host:~$ sudo uname --all
> Linux host 4.15.0-132-generic #136~16.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Tue Jan 12
> 18:22:20 UTC 2021 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

This is an old and EOL kernel. It could be a long fixed Btrfs bug that
caused this problem, I'm not sure. I suggest 5.4.93+ if you need a
longterm kernel, otherwise 5.10.11 is the current stable kernel.

> drive make/model:
>
> Drive is external 5 bay HDD enclosure with raid-5 connected via usb-3
> (made by Orico https://www.orico.cc/us/product/detail/3622.html)
> with 5 WD Red 10 Tb. We use this drive for backups.
>
> When i try to run btrfs check i get error message:
>
> aleksey@host:~$ sudo btrfs check --readonly /dev/sdg
> Couldn't open file system

OK is it now on some other dev node? A relatively recent btrfs-progs
is also recommended, 5.10 is current and I probably wouldn't use
anything older than 5.6.1.

> aleksey@host:~$ sudo smartctl -x /dev/sdg

Yeah probably won't work since it's behind a raid5 controller. I think
there's smartctl commands to enable passthrough and get information
for each drive, so that you don't have to put it in JBOD mode. But I'm
not familiar with how to do that. Anyway it's a good idea to find out
if there's SMART reporting any problems about any drive, but not
urgent.

--
Chris Murphy