On 21/03/25 09:16PM, Qu Wenruo wrote:

> On 2021/3/25 下午8:20, Neal Gompa wrote:
> > On Thu, Mar 25, 2021 at 3:17 AM Qu Wenruo <w...@suse.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > This patchset can be fetched from the following github repo, along with
> > > the full subpage RW support:
> > > https://github.com/adam900710/linux/tree/subpage
> > >
> > > This patchset is for metadata read write support.
> > >
> > > [FULL RW TEST]
> > > Since the data write path is not included in this patchset, we can't
> > > really test the patchset itself, but anyone can grab the patch from
> > > github repo and do fstests/generic tests.
> > >
> > > But at least the full RW patchset can pass -g generic/quick -x defrag
> > > for now.
> > >
> > > There are some known issues:
> > >
> > > - Defrag behavior change
> > >    Since current defrag is doing per-page defrag, to support subpage
> > >    defrag, we need some change in the loop.
> > >    E.g. if a page has both hole and regular extents in it, then defrag
> > >    will rewrite the full 64K page.
> > >
> > >    Thus for now, defrag related failure is expected.
> > >    But this should only cause behavior difference, no crash nor hang is
> > >    expected.
> > >
> > > - No compression support yet
> > >    There are at least 2 known bugs if forcing compression for subpage
> > >    * Some hard coded PAGE_SIZE screwing up space rsv
> > >    * Subpage ASSERT() triggered
> > >      This is because some compression code is unlocking locked_page by
> > >      calling extent_clear_unlock_delalloc() with locked_page == NULL.
> > >    So for now compression is also disabled.
> > >
> > > - Inode nbytes mismatch
> > >    Still debugging.
> > >    The fastest way to trigger is fsx using the following parameters:
> > >
> > >      fsx -l 262144 -o 65536 -S 30073 -N 256 -R -W $mnt/file > /tmp/fsx
> > >
> > >    Which would cause inode nbytes differs from expected value and
> > >    triggers btrfs check error.
> > >
> > > [DIFFERENCE AGAINST REGULAR SECTORSIZE]
> > > The metadata part in fact has more new code than data part, as it has
> > > some different behaviors compared to the regular sector size handling:
> > >
> > > - No more page locking
> > >    Now metadata read/write relies on extent io tree locking, other than
> > >    page locking.
> > >    This is to allow behaviors like read lock one eb while also try to
> > >    read lock another eb in the same page.
> > >    We can't rely on page lock as now we have multiple extent buffers in
> > >    the same page.
> > >
> > > - Page status update
> > >    Now we use subpage wrappers to handle page status update.
> > >
> > > - How to submit dirty extent buffers
> > >    Instead of just grabbing extent buffer from page::private, we need to
> > >    iterate all dirty extent buffers in the page and submit them.
> > >
> > > [CHANGELOG]
> > > v2:
> > > - Rebased to latest misc-next
> > >    No conflicts at all.
> > >
> > > - Add new sysfs interface to grab supported RO/RW sectorsize
> > >    This will allow mkfs.btrfs to detect unmountable fs better.
> > >
> > > - Use newer naming schema for each patch
> > >    No more "extent_io:" or "inode:" schema anymore.

> [...]

Hi Qu Wenruo,

Sorry about chiming in late on this. I don't have any strong objection on either
approach. Although sometime back when I tested your RW support git tree on
Power, the unmount patch itself was crashing. I didn't debug it that time
(this was a month back or so), so I also didn't bother testing xfstests on
Power.

But we do have an interest in making sure this patch series work on bs < ps
on Power platform. I can try helping with testing, reviewing (to best of my
knowledge) and fixing anything is possible :)

Let me try and pull your tree and test it on Power. Please let me know if there
is anything needs to be taken care apart from your github tree and btrfs-progs
branch with bs < ps support.

-ritesh