On Mon, 15 Jun 1998, Brett Thompson wrote:

->Why, hello there! :)
->
->This is just a really quick little answer, as I'm sure if you wait
->somebody else much more clever than I will probably give a better
->response... it just might suffice though, anyway, here goes. :)
->
->Note that C++ does something called passing by reference (it's sort of an
->autodereference...), as does Java, but the term has ambiguity anyway.. :)

yeah, i did it 'backwards'.. learnt c++ then c! i've got a c++ book and it
doesn't work with c.

->Anyway, if you want to modify the pointer to point somewhere else, you'll
->need to get the address of it (a "reference" to it, if you will), instead
->of the value of the pointer (the address that it points to). To do this,
->you need a pointer to the pointer! Interesting, no? :)

so that's what the ** thing is! that was something else i didn't understand.

->So, here, let me give you an example:

thanks, makes sense now!

Http://x-map.home.ml.org                  Mailto : [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Disco is to music what Etch-A-Sketch is to art.