On Sun, 27 Jun 1999, Tom Pilsch spewed into the bitstream:

> >On Fri, 25 Jun 1999, Tom Pilsch spewed into the bitstream:
> >
> ><snipped some very good points which merit thought>
> >
> >> Bottom Line:  We need to ask ourselves why we are taking this journey.  Are
> >> we trying to establish a noncommercial standard to enhance the acceptable
> >> of Linux as a mainstream operating system and thereby have a major positive
> >> impact on our industry, or are we trying to establish a revenue stream?
> >

> >The former, obviously, but it appears at this point that we cannot sustain the
> >the one without the other. Unless someone can see a way to do it that we
> >>haven't yet thought of, and that may well be the best result to this
> >>discussion.
> >

> Is there a business plan for LPI?

Some what... but not good enough yet, in my view. We're so focused on getting
the 1st level of exams out that it's been difficult to do.

> What are estimated expenses (fixed and variable)?

We have a very thorough budget for the development phase.

> How many exams can we expect to administer each year?

#'s of exams will be a post roll-out analysis. I wouldn't know how to estimate
that right now.

> What is the model for the examination process (how much for LPI and how much
> for the actual exam administrator?)

My guess right now is 30% LPI, 70% to the proctoring company. Our lawyer is
looking at the contracts.

> Will this be a one-time certification or a periodic recertification, like a
> license?

I don't think there's a firm decision... it's been discussed. On the face of it
it appears that re-cert will be required as versions iterate. Just look at the
differences between the latest and previous versions of releases... pretty
significant differences, even when you look at the same vendor!

> What other services will the Institute provide (membership, publications.)?
> Etc., etc.

CorpRel gets to work on this... doesn't it sound like fun?

> There is a lot of crystal ball gazing involved with this, but these are the
> kind of questions that need to be answered.  To establish a healthy revenue
> stream and then ask "What are we going to do with it?" smacks of the way
> too many local governments operate and will turn off our potential
> stakeholders.

One of the things we HAVE to do with it is maintain a database of recorded
examinees... this is a requirement which is never going away. This is likely to
get quite large over time so there will be some maintenance and disaster
recovery issues which will cost money. We have also got to have fulfillment on
ancillary items shipped to those we've certified. We have to have a continuous
upgrade cycle (with multi-language capability) for exams and this type of
development is NOT inexpensive (it includes psychometric evaluation all along
the way, else we would/could invalid our cert)! The list goes on but those
things come to mind immediately.

> Again, I suggest we use the Project Management Institute (www.pmi.org) as a
> benchmark.  There undoubtedly are other nonprofit professional focus
> organizations we could use as well.

Certainly.

> Should we start contacting them for information?

I take it you're volunteering, Tom? That works for me.