FYI, here's a quote today from Donnie Barnes of Red Hat:

Q: Any plans for a common Linux certification, or easier way for vendors to get
certified on all major distro's at once? What is
Red Hat's position with the Linux Professional Institute?

    A: We are interested and involved in the LPI. We currently offer
the RHCE program because there was not and still is not another
comparable certification program. We need to provide the best solution
possible to our customers, so if they tell us we need a different
program, we'll certainly investigate other courses. The great thing
about open source is choice, and it's true with certification too.
The options are really completely open at this point, and
we hope LPI is successful.

The full interview is at:

http://linuxtoday.com/stories/9717.html

Regards,