Quoting Forrest Tiffany ([EMAIL PROTECTED]):

> Here's another one:
>

> 2.5     Jimmy wants to power off his computer. Which of the
>         commands (entered at the command line) will
>         cause his system to shut down and stop? (Choose the BEST
>         Answer)
>               a)        shutdown
>               b)        halt
>               c)        reboot
>               d)        All of the above
>
> [ ... deletia ... ]
>
> I know (I'm sure if you asked my 7yr old son he would agree) the answer
> isn't C as the machine will not "stop", which also rules out D, but if
> halt is to never be called directly on previous releases (and yes I
> still have some 4.x machines) why would it be the preferred method,
> especially if it calls shutdown anyway (I know it does the call with the
> -h option, but still)?

This is one of those things I just hate about multiple guess tests...
Often you spend more time trying to work out what was in the mind of the
person that set the question than you would actually dealing with the real
problem.  However...

I chose "halt" here because the question asks "will cause his system to
shut down and stop" and asks for the "BEST" answer.  c) and d) are out for
the obvious reasons.  I considered b) better than a) because halt definitely
stops the system, whereas shutdown might actually reboot it, thus failing
to achieve the requirement of the question.

I'll try not to get started on the niggling little problems I feel exist
in some of the other questions...

James.
--
 "Yield to temptation --             | Consultancy: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  it may not pass your way again"    | http://www.cloud9.co.uk/james

        - Lazarus Long               |              James Fidell