Our anti-spam stuff bounced this message saying that Tom is not a list member -
I'll follow up with him, but in the meantime here is his message.
Dan

From: Tom McDonald <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Kenneth J. Lund" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Alan & Susan Mead <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Revised: A Proposed Concensus for Recertification and Renewal
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 1999 11:37:16 -0500
Cc: Jared Buckley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED]

On Mon, 06 Sep 1999, Kenneth J. Lund wrote:
> >%_> Does this mean we will ignore (keep no record of) tests failed?  I think
> > that's a good idea but I wanted to make sure I wasn't assuming.  BTW, what's
> > our policy on retesting?
> >
> > What does EXPIRE mean?  If we will     not require certificate holders to
> > renew or recertify       then I think it must mean     marked as expired but
> > otherwise unchanged and retreivable by a background checker who visits the
> > LPI site      .  I would agree to that (I would use a different word than
> > expire like    recommend recertification      ).  I take it that this
> > expiration would happen only after (at least) 2 years since the person
> > passed an exam?  I think the complaints by Forrest and Kenneth are based in
> > part on misreadings of this so please clarify.
> >

> I don't think I misread it. I have certifications for IRIX administration and
> other "UNIX" systems and they do not "expire" , "recommend recertification" or
> any other words you wish to use. If you want this to be a "trade" go ahead and
> treat it as such, I will not be involved and I think many more will not, but if
> you want to treat it as a profession then once an individual has the
> certification that's it. I don't think you want a program like CPR do you? That
> requires recertification to prove competence. Is that what you are after with
> this certification? Or are you demonstrating that an individual has mastered a
> subject? Those are both two very different certification approaches, what are
> you after?  You can make the testing as tough as you want, I have no problem
> with that, but requiring recertification every two years or so just cheapens the
> whole process.
>
> Enough said, you have my 2 cents, I will not bother to bring it up again. I'll
> just wait and see what happens....
>

> --
>                />
>               /<      Ken Lund (Goomba)
>               \<
>                \>

I have been following this from the begining but haven't said much, however it
looks like it is nearing the end of the process so I guess it is time to speak.

I agree 100% with Ken Lund.  If this is a license, I want no part of it.  If it
is a certification, then I will get my certification and be on my way.

----
Tom McDonald <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

There is always one more imbecile than you counted on!