The LPI needs your immediate input concerning a proposed restructuring
of the first level program and exams.  We are proposing these changes in
order to capture the benefits of our own experiences in developing the
exams, to meet our market pricing goals, and to incorporate feedback we
have received in the past from the Advisory Council.  Please note, that
these changes do not affect the currently established objectives for T1
certification and require only minor changes in the actual exam content.
The end result of these proposed changes will be to redistribute the
established exam objectives over three tests, rather than the two exams we
have been targeting for the past months.

  We would like you to:

1) review the overall structure outlined below; If desired, you can review
the detailed general objectives in the old context as
http://www.lpi.org/objectives/1.html and http://www.lpi.org/objectives/2.html

2) post your comments in the mailing list [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Background:

  Following discussions at the beginning of this year and with an eye
towards reducing total certification costs, LPI chose to offer two long
exams rather than a multitude of shorter exams.
  Initially we would have 1 general exam, and 1 distribution-specific
exam.  After establishing the objectives, it became apparent that the
general exam would become unrealistically long, whereas the
distribution-specific exams are very short.  We therefore transfered
objectives from the first exam, and merged those with the second; the main
design goal was to make exams of equal length and difficulty.

  However, since that time we have been receiving signals that two long
exams will not be well received.  Exams currently available in the
industry rarely exceed 2 hours in length, whereas our exams would take at
least 3 hours.  From a survey made by Alan Mead
(http://assess.ipat.com/~cert/report.html) it became apparent that people
would prefer several shorter (and cheaper) exams, even if the total cost
for certification would increase.
  In addition, there is a psychological barrier in the USA (one of the
main markets) for exams priced higher than US$100; we would need to exceed
that price in order to deploy long (3-hour) exams.
  Finally, LPI has been receiving comments that it is hard to teach for
the exams.  The content for Level 1 apparently needs about 3 weeks or more
of courses.  The structure of the exams is not such that one can take the
first exam after one or two weeks of training.  LPI certifies for a
certain level of expertise, and is reluctant to assign any value to an
intermediate status; however, we are open to changes in the program if
that helps improve training of Linux professionals.

  Those most closely involved therefore have been reconsidering our exam
structure. We think we can achieve all of our goals if we again separate
the distribution-specific objectives from the general ones.  We divide
the general objectives over two exams: the first one (T1a) will have less
weight than the second one (T2b).  This will make it easier for people to
enter our program, and leaves some time to collect the necessary
demographic data at the first exam.  Specifically, we will just exchange
topic areas 3 and 8 from the one exam with areas 2 and 10 of the other;
with these changes, and after splitting off the distribution specific
part, the current Exam 2 will become our shorter new first exam T1a.  We
hope our proposal facilitates training, and we are open to alternatives as
long as the two general exams have similar weigths as they do in this
proposal.

  We took the opportunity to re-evaluate our objectives.  In writing test
items, it became apparent that some of the general networking objectives
(topic area 12) were difficult to work with.  We rewrote the first three,
merging them into two new ones while looking back to the tasks of our job
analysis.  There is little change in content of these redesigned
objectives; the current version can be viewed at
http://www.lpi.org/cgi-bin/poms.py?objlist=1.12

  We also propose to add some omissions to selected objectives:
- mention `cat`, `uniq` and `unexpand` as examples of text processing
  filters (Area 3 Obj.2)
- use of `xargs` in Area 3 Obj. 4 on pipes etc.
- use of `modprobe` for loading modules (Area 5 Obj. 1)

  Below is an outline of our new proposed exam structure.  Please send us
your comments soon.

Proposed exam structure

T1a: General Linux I    # Objectives: 26        Total Weight: 83
T1b: General Linux II   # Objectives: 30        Total Weight: 105
T2a: Caldera    # Objectives: 6 Total Weight: 25
T2b: Debian     # Objectives: 7 Total Weight: 28
T2c: TurboLinux # Objectives: 8 Total Weight: 32
T2d: Red Hat    # Objectives: 9 Total Weight: 33
T2e: Slackware  # Objectives: 5 Total Weight: 24
T2f: SuSE       # Objectives: 7 Total Weight: 27

T1a: General Linux I    # Objectives: 26        Total Weight: 83
3. GNU & Unix Commands
        # objectives: 7 total weight: 26        maintainer: Chuck
4. Devices, Linux File Systems, Filesystem Hierarchy Standard
        # objectives: 8 total weight: 21        maintainer: Tom
6. Boot, Initialization, Shutdown, Run Levels
        # objectives: 2 total weight:  6        maintainer: Tom
8. Documentation
        # objectives: 4 total weight:  9        maintainer: Tom
11. Administrative Tasks
        # objectives: 5 total weight: 21        maintainer: Scott

T1b: General Linux II   # Objectives: 30        Total Weight: 105
1. Hardware & Architecture
        # objectives: 3 total weight: 10        maintainer: Chuck
2. Linux Installation & Package Management
        # objectives: 4 total weight: 13        maintainer: Tom
5. Kernel
        # objectives: 2 total weight:  7        maintainer: Tom
7. Text Editing, Processing, Printing
        # objectives: 4 total weight:  8        maintainer: Tom
9. Shells, Scripting, Programming, Compiling
        # objectives: 2 total weight:  9        maintainer: Tom
10. X
        # objectives: 4 total weight: 10        maintainer: Chuck
12. Networking Fundamentals
        # objectives: 3 total weight: 18        maintainer: Chuck
13. Networking Services
        # objectives: 5 total weight: 20        maintainer: Chuck
14. Security
        # objectives: 3 total weight: 10        maintainer: Chuck

T2a: Caldera    # Objectives: 6 Total Weight: 25
        maintainer: David A. Bandel
81. OS Installation
        # objectives: 4 total weight: 14
82. Package & Software Management
        # objectives: 1 total weight: 8
84. Administrative Tools
        # objectives: 1 total weight: 3

T2b: Debian     # Objectives: 7 Total Weight: 28
        maintainer: Tom Peters
81. OS Installation
        # objectives: 3 total weight: 13
82. Package & Software Management
        # objectives: 2 total weight: 10
84. Administrative Tools
        # objectives: 2 total weight: 5

T2c: TurboLinux # Objectives: 8 Total Weight: 32
        maintainer: Faber Fedor
81. OS Installation
        # objectives: 3 total weight: 13
82. Package & Software Management
        # objectives: 2 total weight: 10
83. File Locations
        # objectives: 1 total weight: 3
84. Administrative Tools
        # objectives: 2 total weight: 6

T2d: Red Hat    # Objectives: 9 Total Weight: 33
        maintainer: Chuck Mead
81. OS Installation
        # objectives: 3 total weight: 13
82. Package & Software Management
        # objectives: 2 total weight: 9
84. Administrative Tools
        # objectives: 3 total weight: 8
89. Other
        # objectives: 1 total weight: 3

T2a: Slackware  # Objectives: 5 Total Weight: 24
        maintainer: Tom Peters
81. OS Installation
        # objectives: 3 total weight: 13
82. Package & Software Management
        # objectives: 1 total weight: 8
84. Administrative Tools
        # objectives: 1 total weight: 3

T2a: SuSE       # Objectives: 7 Total Weight: 27
        maintainer: Faber Fedor
81. OS Installation
        # objectives: 2 total weight: 8
82. Package & Software Management
        # objectives: 1 total weight: 8
84. Administrative Tools
        # objectives: 4 total weight: 11

        Tom Peters
                Program Director, Linux Professional Institute
                NL-1062 KD nr 149       tel.    31-204080204
                        Amsterdam       e-mail  [EMAIL PROTECTED]