Linux Professional Institute News - 22 Sept 99

    I.  Executive Summary
   II.  News Summary
  III.  News
   IV.  List Topics
    V.  Links

I.  Executive Summary

August and September have been an exciting months for LPI and events are
only going to accelerate as we approach our revised third quarter
release date for T1. Test questions are now open for submission and we
are receiving items from the community, but we still need all the help
we can get.  Digital Metrics, formerly a for-profit Linux certification
program, has decided to cease operation and throw their resources and
support behind LPI.  Dan York while attending LinuxWorld in San Jose,
had the opportunity to meet with our Advisory Council and solicit their
advice on a number of topics.  LPI will be attending the Atlanta Linux
Showcase in October.

II.  News Summary

    A.  Status Update
    B.  How Can I Help?
    C.  Digital Metrics
    D.  Accepting Test Questions
    E.  Sponsor Recognition
    F.  Thanks for the Help
    G.  Trade shows and Events
    H.  Miscellaneous LPI PR Links

III.  News

    A.  Status Update -- August may be vacation time across
        the northern half of the globe, but things have been
        as busy as ever for LPI.  Although our release date
        for T1 has been revised to the third quarter of this
        year, we've made many great strides in the past month.
        The Test Item Processing System (TIPS) is now
        accepting items from our volunteers and Digital
        Metrics' contribution of their test questions to our
        database have significantly advanced the development
        of T1.  (See the related news items below for more
        information on TIPS and DM.)

        As I mentioned last time, LPI is in the process of
        incorporating as a non-profit organization.  It's
        taking a little longer than normal because of the
        necessity of shuffling legal documents around the
        world for signatures and notarization, but the
        process is well under way.

        We're on track for release of T1 in the third quarter
        but can't do it without your help...

    B.  How Can I Help? --

        1)  Write Test Questions! -- It's time to put your IQ
            where your mouth is...this is where the rubber
            meets the road...this is where we separate the men
            from the boys.  Pick your own cliché, but bring
            your Linux skills over to:

            http://www.lpi.org/cgi-bin/tips.py

            and help us to create a comprehensive certification
            test of junior system administrator skills.
            Questions submitted will be rigorously screened and
            reviewed for technical accuracy and relevance by
            the LPI psychometric team. Questions which survive
            this process will appear on the actual exams, which
            are to be deployed internationally within the next
            four to six weeks.  While all submitters will be
            recognized by LPI on its web site, for security
            reasons we cannot acknowledge whether specific
            questions have been accepted or not.

            LPI's first exam, T1, covers common fundamental
            aspects of Linux system administration.  A second
            exam, T2, will be offered for each of the major
            Linux distributions.  Completion of the T1 exam and
            one of the T2 exams is required to achieve LPI's
            first level Linux certificate, LPIC-1, which is
            targeted at junior Linux administrators.  Future
            exams are planned covering more advanced topics, as
            well as the distinctions between the major Linux
            distributions.  On the LPI web site, submitters can
            browse the exam objectives and select for which
            ones they'd like to submit questions.  Detailed
            online instructions are provided.  At the present
            time, the interface allows submission of only
            multiple-choice type items, but the institute is
            developing methods of accepting other types of
            questions.

            If you have ever had concerns that people who
            completed other certification programs weren't
            really qualified, then please join with us and help
            make sure our program is of the appropriate
            quality.

        2)  Volunteer your Time and Skills -- There are going
            to be several opportunities to contribute to LPI
            technically too.

            Evan Leibovich ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) and Chuck Mead
            ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) are working on a revamped web site.
            We  need some web-heads to help with PHP scripting
            and general site maintenance.  Drop Evan or Chuck a
            line if you're interested.

            Very soon now, we're also going to need some help
            in the design and implementation of our back-end
            certificate holder database.  If you've got some
            experience in db design and are feeling charitable,
            fire an email off to Evan ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) for more
            details.

        3)  Creating a high-quality certification program such
            as this costs a significant amount of money.  We
            recently unveiled our sponsorship program for both
            businesses and individuals at:

            http://www.lpi.org/sponsorship.html

            We've already had several major sponsors come on
            board and we are actively speaking with others. If
            either your company or you individually would be
            interested in donating, we would certainly be
            interested to talk to you.  If you think your
            company might be interested, but are uncomfortable
            bringing the matter up, please feel free to contact
            us and we'll be glad to make the approach.

            Please direct all sponsorship inquiries to either
            Dan York ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) or Chuck Mead
            ([EMAIL PROTECTED]).  Please note that while we are
            incorporating as a nonprofit corporation, we are
            not (yet, anyway) a "tax-exempt" entity by U.S.
            IRS tax guidelines.  Donations to LPI are *not*
            tax-deductible in the U.S. as charitable
            contributions.  (But there may be other ways to
            deduct such contributions - contact an accountant
            for details - and hey, it's for a good cause
            anyway!)

        4)  With so many information technology publications
            out there - both in print and on the web, it's
            next-to-impossible to stay up-to-date on what's
            being said all over the place about Linux
            certification.  We'd like your help.  When you see
            an article (either in print or online) about Linux
            certification, can you please send us the info
            (article title, publication, date, URL if on the
            web).  Either send it directly to "linux-cert-pr"
            if you are a member of that list (if not, consider
            joining!) or email it to Evan ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

            You can see the list of what has been posted at:

            http://lists.linuxcare.com/linux-cert-pr/threads.html

            Messages sent to linux-cert-pr appear on the
            archive within an hour.

        5)  To date, much of the writing and speaking about LPI
            and our efforts to create a Linux certification
            program has been by members of the Steering
            Committee such as Evan and Dan.  But please know
            that we are not at all exclusive about that
            and would encourage others to help out with writing
            and/or speaking about LPI and Linux certification.

            Many web sites are looking for people to write
            articles and we'd love to see more articles out
            there about Linux certification and LPI. If you
            know of a site looking for articles, please go
            ahead and write one.  We'll be glad to provide some
            information or assistance if you need it.  Also,
            if you'd like to write articles, drop us a note and
            we may be able to steer you to places where they
            are looking for writers (usually the online sites
            are looking for writers who will write for free).

            Print publications are good, too.  For instance,
            Dan had an article in the June ";login:" published
            by USENIX and then an article in the July "Linux
            Journal." Scott Murray & Alan Mead are planning to
            submit an article on their survey process to a
            psychometrics journal.  Articles might be
            appropriate for local or regional newsletters for
            training organizations, user groups, etc.  Also, if
            you're interested in speaking to local groups, we
            will soon be making some presentations available
            online (in Applixware format so far, probably HTML,
            too) that you could use.  For instance, Faber Fedor
            recently spoke to a local association of technical
            educators in his state.

            If you are interested in writing or speaking,
            please feel free to contact either Evan
            ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) or Dan ([EMAIL PROTECTED]).  Feel free,
            too, to go ahead and just write...  we'll be glad
            to look over articles if you'd like us to.

        6)  As always, one of the best ways to participate is
            by hopping on the mailing lists and making your
            expertise available to the groups.  LPI is a
            community based organization and we  need the input
            and the support of a wide variety of Linux users to
            meet our goal of creating a strong, vendor-neutral
            certification program.  Visit us and find out how
            to get in the loop!

            http://www.lpi.org/involved.html

    C.  Digital Metrics Gets Behind LPI -- As you've probably
        seen on  web site, Digital Metrics, a web based Linux
        certification effort has decided to join us in our
        efforts and donate their knowledge and resources to LPI.
        Besides their installed base of certificate holders, DM
        brings their wealth of knowledge to our certification
        efforts, greatly bolstering the depth and bredth of
        questions in our T1 item pool.  We are still working
        out the details of the effort, but we're very happy to
        welcome the entire DM organization to LPI.

        We are addressing the issue of how to transition current
        DM certificate holders to LPI's program.  Keep an eye
        open on the web site for further details on this subject.

    D.  LPI is Now Accepting Test Questions -- The TIPS system
        is up and running, the item reviewers are in place, and
        the community is waiting, so why aren't you
        contributing from your area of Linux expertise?  We
        need everyone to check into:

        http://www.lpi.org/cgi-bin/tips.py

        and start core dumping your Linux experience.  The
        bottom line is that we can't create a certification
        effort that accurately reflects the Linux skills
        required by the community without the community's help.
        Add some questions and spread the word to all of your
        friends.  If the web interface isn't your cup of tea,
        drop me a line ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) and I can forward a copy
        of the offline interface that Richard Rager designed.
        (Just don't send me any questions/bug submissions on
        it; forward those to Richard at: [EMAIL PROTECTED] )

    E.  Sponsors, Old and New -- LinuxWorld finally gave us the
        opportunity to officially thank the folks who've so
        graciously provided us financial support. We presented
        plaques of appreciation to the following sponsors at
        the show:

        Corporate Sponsors
        ------------------
        Dave Sifry - Linuxcare
        Brandon Worrell - IBM
        Angie Wethington - Macmillan USA
        Simon Yates - Computing McGraw-Hill
        Matthew Cunningham - Linux Journal
        Nancy Maragioglio - New Riders Publishing

        Individual sponsors
        -------------------
        Jon "maddog" Hall
        Mark Bolzern

        Lenz Grimmer from SuSE, Jim Higgins from Caldera Systems
        and Ken Kousky from Wave Technology were given their awards
        later at their booths.  All three are corporate members.
        If you or your company couldn't make to to LW, don't worry;
        we'll catch you the next time around!

        We also like to take a moment to welcome our most
        recent sponsors, Wave Technologies and SGI. Both companies
        came in at the Gold sponsorship level.  Welcome All!

    F.  A Word of Thanks -- Thanks so much to everyone who
        contributed their time and efforts to help us out at
        LinuxWorld.  Walter J. Feszchak, Angie Wethington,
        Simon Yates and Nancy Maragioglio all volunteered time
        to work at the booth.  Thank you also to Linux Journal
        for providing us a home at the show!

    G.  Trade shows and Events --

        LinuxWorld August 9 - 12 -- Well LPI (in the mortal
        form of Dan York) made it to LinuxWorld this past
        August.  Dan managed to get fit a Birds-of-a-Feather
        session, a meeting of the Advisory Council, a press
        conference to award plaques to our sponsors, AND plenty
        of hand-shaking and baby-kissing into a very busy LW
        schedule.  Although I missed the show myself, I heard
        it was a pretty good time.  From the discussions I've
        heard, all of the Steering Committee is planing on
        being at:

        Atlanta Linux Showcase October 12-16 -- We will be
        attending and have already scheduled a
        Birds-of-a-Feather session.  Stay tuned for dates and
        times.  As with LinuxWorld, we'll need volunteers to
        help with the booth etc.  Send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        if you're interesting in contributing some time.

    H.  Here are some quick links to various LPI articles:

        Dan York's 7/11/99 Interview with Linux.com:
          http://www.linux.com/interviews/19990811/9/

        Dan also gave an audio interview to Dave Whitinger at
        LinuxToday.  It's in MP3 and is about 10 minutes long.

        http://linuxtoday.com/stories/9414.html

information.

l-c
    o  Certification Database and Privacy
l-c-corprel
    o  Approval of Training Vendors
l-c-pr
    o  Press Section on Web Site
    o  LPI Logo Button for Linux.com Requirements
l-c-program
    o  Recertification Requirements Revisited
    o  Another Linux certification program - E-Certification
    o  Version 1.0 of the Glossary/Terms Released
l-c-examdev
    o  Sample Test Questions

Dan's Other Cert Articles:
    http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue33/york.html
    http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue34/york.html
    http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue35/york.html
    http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue37/york.html
    http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue40/york.html
    http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue43/york.html

Other Linux Certification Programs:

(SAIR)  http://www.linuxcertification.com/
(LPI!)  http://www.digitalmetrics.com/
        http://www.redhat.com/corp/products_training.html
        http://www.enterprisecertified.com/aboutecc.htm

Additional email archives are now on-line:

linux-cert:
   http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-cert%40linuxcare.com/
   http://lists.linuxcare.com/linux-cert/threads.html
   http://linux.codemeta.com/archives/linuxcert_archive/