On Fri, Jul 21, 2017 at 04:55:12PM +0200, Oliver Mangold wrote:
> On 21.07.2017 16:47, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
> > On Fri, Jul 21, 2017 at 01:39:13PM +0200, Oliver Mangold wrote:
> > > Better, but obviously there is still much room for improvement by reducing
> > > the number of calls to RDRAND.
> > Hmm, is there some way we can easily tell we are running on Ryzen?  Or
> > do we believe this is going to be true for all AMD devices?
> I would like to note that my first measurement on Broadwell suggest that the
> current frequency of RDRAND calls seems to slow things down on Intel also
> (but not as much as on Ryzen).

On my T470 laptop (with an Intel mobile core i7 processor), using your
benchmark, I am getting 136 MB/s, versus your 75 MB/s.  But so what?

More realistically, if we are generating 256 bit keys (so we're
reading from /dev/urandom 32 bytes at a time), it takes 2.24
microseconds per key generation.  What do you get when you run:

dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/zero bs=256 count=1000000

Even if on Ryzen it's slower by a factor of two, 5 microseconds per
key generation is pretty fast!  The time to do the Diffie-Hellman
exchange and the RSA operations will probably completely swamp the
time to generate the session key.

And if you think 2.24 or 5 microseconds is to slow for the IV
generation --- then use a userspace ChaCha20 CRNG for that purpose.

I'm not really sure I see a real-life operational problem here.

                                    - Ted