We've done enough performance testing to know that the short answer
is: HPolyC is still a lot slower than I'm happy with, and encryption
still has a quite noticeable effect on the feel of low end devices.
Indeed, this proposal may change if I find a faster way to do the
first and last rounds. We don't know how long chipsets without
hardware AES will be around, but especially in this post-Moore's Law
era, I'd bet on Schneier's maxim: the low end doesn't go away, and if
a day comes where we don't have to worry about this in handsets, we'll
probably be worrying about it for IoT devices.