On Thu, Apr 1, 2021 at 3:54 PM Ard Biesheuvel <a...@kernel.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 1 Apr 2021 at 15:38, Rafael J. Wysocki <raf...@kernel.org> wrote:

> > Not really.
> >
> > CRC32 is not really sufficient for integrity checking here AFAICS.  It
> > might be made a fallback option if MD5 is not available, but making it
> > the default would be somewhat over the top IMO.

> > > Looking at 62a03defeabd58f74e07ca030d6c21e069d4d88e which introduced
> > > this, it is only a best effort check which is simply omitted if md5
> > > happens to be unavailable, so there is definitely no need for crypto
> > > here.
> >
> > Yes, it is about integrity checking only.  No, CRC32 is not equivalent
> > to MD5 in that respect AFAICS.
> >

> There are two possibilities:
> - we care about an adversary attempting to forge a collision, in which
> case you need a cryptographic hash which is not broken;
> - we only care about integrity, in which case crypto is overkill, and
> CRC32 is sufficient. (Note that the likelihood of an honest,
> inadvertent modification not being caught by CRC32 is 1 in 4 billion)

That depends on how you count.

Surely, there are modifications caught by MD5 that will not be caught by CRC32.

> MD5 does not meet either requirement, given that it is known to be
> broken, and overkill for simple integrity checks. MD5 should be phased
> out and removed, and moving this code onto the correct abstraction
> would be a reasonable step towards that goal.

This clearly is a matter of opinion.

I'm not religious about it though.  If there is a general consensus
that CRC32 is sufficient for error detection in hibernation files,
then it can be used.  So is there such a consensus and if so, can you
give me a pointer to some research that it is based on?