I've setup a NIS/NFS server for my college intranet, with some linux
workstations logging in. This is my first experiment with NIS/NFS, and I
have a couple of problems.

The whole setup is working fine, except :
1) If a user changes his password on the client using yppasswd, it gives all
the right signals (password changed on server etc.), but logging on from the
node does not work with the new password. However, the password has actually
been updated on the server ( ie. I can telnet in with the new password).
restarting ypserv/ypbind etc does not help. So How do I get the server to
update the maps on the clients ? (I believe yppush is only for slave
servers).
2) I've been given a new machine to use as a linux file server, so I want to
transfer all the users home directories to it. I've exported /home via nfs,
but even root on the client machine is unable to view/read the contents of
any users home directories. users can see their own home dirs. though. So
how do I tell NFS to allow root to view all files on the client machines so
I can copy all the files over to the new HD. I gather this is a perms.
problem.

3) Different problem : I'm setting up printer accounting on the linux box
(using the samba exmaples).
I've mostly got it working, but I've not been able to come up with much
documentation on it. Has anyone got any experience/pointers on an effective
implementation ?

4) I want to disable the ability to get a root prompt via 'linux single'.
(RH 6.1). HOWTO ?

thats it for now.

nikk

A Vulcan can no sooner be disloyal than he can exist without breathing.
                -- Kirk, "The Menagerie", stardate 3012.4