From: Christian Winter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.databases
Subject: Re: MySQL table size
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 19:22:50 +0200

David Yeung schrob:
> Anyone knows if there is any limitation on the table size in MySQL
> database running Linux. I understand that the maximum file size in
> Linux is 2G (or 4G with newer kernel), and the MySQL uses file to
> store each table. Does that mean the MySQL table size in Linux
> limited to 2G(4G)?

Just see Chapter 9.3 in the shipped-with mysql-faq:
| Currently a table is limited to the operation system file size.
| On Linux the current Limit is 2GB [...]

HTH
Christian

F'Up2 comp.databases

--
|~-_ /~~~~~ Free Linux Portal: http://www.linux-config.de ~~~~~\ _-~|
|  //       de.etc.schreiben.* - Usenet-Literatur im www:       \\  |

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: How compatible is Linux with .. Linux
Date: 11 Apr 2000 22:44:46 GMT

In comp.os.linux.development.apps aflinsch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: "Peter T. Breuer" wrote:

:> : I liked the basis of the technology, if IBM would have built a micro370, and
:> : a trimmed down version of VM/370 instead of signing on with Microsoft, we
:> : would all be using true blue systems for this stuff.
:>
:> Possibly. JCL was inflexible gobbledegook.

: gobbledegook perhaps, but very flexible, IF you understand it. Main
: purpose was to seperate ties to i/o from the program, and provide a
: consistrent method to bind files to a program symbolically. Once one
: understands the basic concepts of it, it becomes rather simple.

So could one do pipes?

Peter

------------------------------

From: Arne Knut Roev <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: On "interpreted" languages, was: Re: Why don't people write in C++
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 23:18:55 GMT

Victor Wagner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Unless, of course, everybody wouldn't switch to Python, Perl, Scheme and
> other mostly interpreted languages, becouse processors are cheap and
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> interpreted languages are easier to debug.

Not that you mentioned it directly, but in case you are also thinking of
Common Lisp, you need to think again.

While Common Lisp environments tend to be interactive, there is absolutely
no reason why they should also be interpreted. It is perfectly feasible
for a complete, interactive Common Lisp environment to contain _zero_
interpreters. In fact, at least two implementations are on the market
that operate strictly on the principle of "compile->execute".

Now, back to C++:

There is one thing I've been meaning to ask the C++ crowd, and now I'm taking
the opportunity to actually put the question:

Does C++ contain closures independently of the OO things ?

(Not that an answer in the affirmative would make me use C++, it is all idle
curiosity...)

--
Arne Knut Roev <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Snail: N-6141 ROVDE, Norway
=

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 11:07:09 +1000
From: Shaun Gervin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: KDE apps compiling

I'm having a problem compiling KDE apps:

I have g++, the KDE and QT libs all installed properly (as far as I can
see), but I get an error when trying to configure the makefile (using
the provided 'configure' program). The error message is something like
"Couldn't link a small KDE application!". The same machine can
successfully compile and link GNOME apps written in C++. This happens
with every KDE application that I have downloaded and tried to compile.

Is there berhaps some common KDE developers step that I have missed when

installing my machine.  (Which is  RH6.1 btw, with the supplied KDE, QT
and egcs development packages installed)

Thanks

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Juergen Heinzl)
Subject: Re: Thinking of trying Java - can someone stop me?
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 01:11:27 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, nightstalker wrote:
>"Paul Richards (Pauldoo)" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> I had a flash thought the other day to learn Java.  Could someone please
>> persuade me not to as I hate Java for reasons unknown to even myself.
[...]

Upgrade to a newer version of yourself and might love it ;)
[...]
>it's slow and owned by sun :)
>
>anyways i don't like the language .. but you could always give it a try
>yourself.
>write something simple, than write the same thing in c/c++ ... convince
>yourself
>what you like most.
>
>and : don't believe the hype :)
[...]

One of the biggest problems I've got with Java is the lack of a standard
aside from not being a language useful for the kind of problems
I have to tackle.

Up to now Sun's policy regarding Java might be described as, well, the
biggest mess since the Big Bang. Sun just cannot make up its mind and
to me Sun does not have any interest in Java at all but Sun's priorities
seem to be ...
(  I) - how can Sun profit from people using Java
( II) - how can Sun profit from people using Java
(III) - how can Sun profit from people using Java
... but this is just something my nose keeps telling me, although my nose
rarely betrayed me in the past. It never did, that is.

Yes, it is a very nice nose, I like it too.

Another personal opinion is that current Java developers should put
more pressure on Sun to get things sorted out, as without them Java
would be nothing but another four letter word.

Up to then, try Ada,
Juergen

--
\ Real name     : Jürgen Heinzl                 \       no flames      /
 \ EMail Private : [EMAIL PROTECTED] \ send money instead /

------------------------------

From: Michael Powe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: ncurses vs C/C++ and Linux. =)
Date: 11 Apr 2000 18:15:49 -0700

------------------------------

From: Michael Powe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: OT:  gdb tab stops
Date: 11 Apr 2000 18:30:58 -0700

------------------------------

From: "G. A. Propf" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Securing cvs?
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 22:52:37 -0400

Anyone know how to get cvs to use ONLY ssl to talk over the i-net.  I
have tried compiling in Kerberos and GSSAPI support but this is proving
to be a complicated nightmare.  I know you can forward ports with ssh
but the thing always forces you to enter a passwd to set up the port
forwarding.  I want to be able to run cvs securely over the internet but
without having to enter a password everytime I want to start the
server.  TIA - Greg

--
Moon is following me, must...run...faster...

------------------------------

From: "Celestial Wizard" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.development.system,linux.redhat.devel
Subject: Re: Q: How good is Linux when the computer is suddenly loses power ?
Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2000 13:27:12 +1000

no you twit, it means that when he trips on the cable, it dont pull out so
easily, because there is slack

--

   The Celestial Wizard
   President - South East Brisbane Linux Users Group
news:nFnt4.317$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Balint Sztaray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: pascal?
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 21:50:09 -0400

Hi!
Could someone please suggest me a simple way of programming in pascal
under linux? I just want to use tty mode. I'm looking for something very
similar to turbo/borland pascal. I am currently using delphi in console
mode under vmware/win98 because I need more memory than I can get in DOS,
but it's not very convenient. Is there an API under linux similar to turbo
pascal?
Please, email me, too, if you reply.
Thanks:

   balint sztaray

------------------------------

From: Lac Hao Viet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help!! Sementation Fault??
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 05:14:27 GMT

Compile with -g option for gcc
run : gdb program core
use : where to see where the cause of segfault (should give you file and
line number;

Hope it helps.
In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Coenraad Loubser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> "Arthur H. Gold" wrote:
>
> > cooldude wrote:
> > >
> > > I'm writing a C program in Linux.
> > > I use a trie structure.
> > > When I compile and run the program
> > > at certain points
> > > 'Segmentation fault(core dumped)'
> > > message appears and my program stops running.
> > > Can anyone explain what is wrong?
> > > It is urgent , I would appreciate a quick reply.
> > > Thank you very much.
> > Most likely, you're trying to dereference a pointer that's either:
> > 1) NULL or
> > 2) garbage.
> >
> > Without seeing some code (the _minimal_ _compileable_ amount that
shows
> > the problem, there's really no more to say.
> >
> > HTH,
> > --ag
> >
> > --
> > Artie Gold, Austin, TX  (finger the cs.utexas.edu account for more
info)
> > mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] or mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > --
> > A: Look for a lawyer who speaks Aramaic...about trademark
infringement.

> sorry, i dont think i'll be of much help.. and i dont think anyone
else
> will... either your program can't keep track of it's data in memory
and
> writes where it should not... or your compiler can't properly compile
code.
> Now who do you trust more?????

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Martin Kahlert)
Subject: Re: pascal?
Date: 12 Apr 2000 06:00:09 GMT

[Posted and mailed]

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        Balint Sztaray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Hi!
> Could someone please suggest me a simple way of programming in pascal
> under linux? I just want to use tty mode. I'm looking for something very
> similar to turbo/borland pascal. I am currently using delphi in console
> mode under vmware/win98 because I need more memory than I can get in DOS,
> but it's not very convenient. Is there an API under linux similar to turbo
> pascal?
> Please, email me, too, if you reply.

You could start with this link:
http://www.freepascal.org/
(Sorry i didn't test it since i only do C)
Martin.

--
The early bird gets the worm. If you want something else for
breakfast, get up later.

------------------------------

From: "news.vutbr.cz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Howto resize serial port(tty) input buffer
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 14:21:25 -0700

Hi all,

 my application uses serial port to receive date on 56700 bps.
Application do something that's on each received amount of data.
Default size odf tty input buffer is 4096 bytes. How to resize it
on 10k ?

My second questions is: Is it possible to register tty discipline from
userspace ?

And my thirth question is: How to receive "message" from kernel TTY_OVERRUN
when overrun of serial port occures ?

           Thanks for any answer to my email

                        JD

  ,{(~)~(},       Dadak Jakub             Brain Systems s.r.o.
,( ((~) ){){}     [EMAIL PROTECTED]      Rybkova 1
())~{)}{{}~()}    http://www.brainsys.cz  Brno 602 00
`~^    ^~{()}     Tel. +420 5 41148704    Fax. +420 5 41148852
           ~~     Motto:                  Things are different !

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Socket problem
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 08:22:15 GMT

Hi!

I'm writing a client/server socket (tcp)
application in c. It works fine when I run it on
the local machine. I start the server by inetd.

When I try to connect from another machine on the
same net the connect() call fails. I can use
telnet to connect to the serverapplication on the
port I'm using, but connect() in my own client
application fails.

Does anyone have any ideas what I might have
overlooked? I asume that there are no problems at
the server end since I can telnet to it.

  /Marcus

From: "Martijn Lievaart" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
fr.comp.lang.c,fr.comp.developpement,alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++,comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: Récuperation d'1 PID en C
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 12:09:43 +0200

[ Fup to a.c.l.l.c-c++ ]

"Julien Curto" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Salut,

Salut,

PLEASE, don't post linux related questions to alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++.
This group is about the standard C/C++ languages only.

M4
--
Contrary to popular believe, the number of the beast is not 666,
it's 555-37689.

------------------------------

From: john <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Help on packet scheduling ,dev->tbusy
Date: 12 Apr 2000 10:35:59 GMT

Dear all:

    my packet scheduling strategy is to write a function that instead of
hard_start_xmit function pointer in

device driver,

    and  in my  function I enqueue the "skb" packet buffer and run some
packet scheduling algorithm,

(not use linux TC)but when to call the dequeue function ? to restore the
original hard_start_xmit function and transmit?

Linux TC(traffic control)  calls dequeue after enqueue, and use the
dev->tbusy as congestion control,

that means,in a bottleneck the times to call enqueue will greater than
dequeue,so there will be more than

one packet in the queue to be scheduled, but when I use plip0 at one
side in the gateway as a bottleneck,

and the dev->tbusy is always not busy,so every time  the  packet just
dequeued after enqueueing.

 I also find the  gateway receive about 10,000 packet in eth0 side,but
only transmit 2000 packet at

the plip0 side,  kernel has dropped the packets, can you tell me why and
at which point?

even the traffic generate from the gateway(not from eth0 side) get  the
same result. to,
can you help me?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.development,comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32
Subject: Re: porting WIN32 to UNIX (Linux)
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 10:25:31 GMT

...method can then implement whatever is needed to wake up
> the target object's internal thread---such as signalling a single
internal
> condition variable or semaphore or what have you.  Otherwise you end
up with a
> situation where you need notification from two or more objecs that all
export
> event handles. So what do you do? WaitForMultipleObjects. Oops!
>
> --
> #exclude <windows.h>

Thanks for the pointers.  I've implemented a class to handle
multi-resource access but was wondering if there was a standard way of
implementing timeouts while waiting on semaphores or mutexes.

Cheers
Al

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Tennent)
Date: 12 Apr 2000 11:46:31 GMT

On Tue, 11 Apr 2000 21:50:09 -0400, Balint Sztaray wrote:

 >Could someone please suggest me a simple way of programming in pascal
 >under linux? I just want to use tty mode. I'm looking for something very
 >similar to turbo/borland pascal. I am currently using delphi in console
 >mode under vmware/win98 because I need more memory than I can get in DOS,
 >but it's not very convenient. Is there an API under linux similar to turbo
 >pascal?

URL         : http://www.freepascal.org/
Summary     : Free Pascal Compiler
Description :
The Free Pascal Compiler is a Turbo Pascal 7.0 and Delphi compatible 32bit
Pascal Compiler. It comes with fully TP 7.0 compatible run-time library.
Some extensions are added to the language, like function overloading. Shared
libraries can be linked and created. Basic Delphi support is already
implemented (classes,exceptions,ansistrings).
This package contains commandline compiler and utils. Provided units are
the runtime library (RTL), free component library (FCL), gtk,ncurses,zlib,
mysql,postgres,ibase bindings.

URL         : http://agnes.dida.physik.uni-essen.de/~gnu-pascal/
Summary     : GNU Pascal
Description :
A Pascal compiler based on the GCC 2.8.1 compiler.
GNU Pascal is part of the GNU compiler family, GNU CC or GCC.
It combines a Pascal front-end with the proven GNU C back-end
for code generation and optimization.

Name        : p2c
Summary     : A Pascal to C translator.
Description :
P2c is a system for translating Pascal programs into the C language.
P2c accepts input source files in certain Pascal dialects:  HP
Pascal, Turbo/UCSD Pascal, DEC VAX Pascal, Oregon Software Pascal/2,
Macintosh Programmer's Workshop Pascal and Sun/Berkeley Pascal.  P2c
outputs a set of .c and .h files which make up a C program equivalent
to the original Pascal program.  The C program can then be compiled
using a standard C compiler, such as gcc.
Install the p2c package if you need a program for translating Pascal
code into C code.

There are also Modula and Oberon implementations available.

Bob T.

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can send mail to the entire list (and comp.os.linux.development.apps) via:

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

End of Linux-Development-Apps Digest