From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ben Caradoc-Davies)
Subject: Re: suitable language
Date: 6 May 2000 00:32:24 GMT

On Fri, 05 May 2000 19:55:13 GMT, Anders Peterson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I'm planning on developing an application for Linux. It should have
>the "old style GUI" - I don't know what it's called. (Basically text
>but using the whole screen. Definetely no windows or buttons. Mainframe
>computer apps look this way.) The application should read and write XML
>files (as data storage also used by other apps).
>
>What would be a suitable programming language for this kind of app?

FORTRAN 77

Just kidding. I recommend Python (but then, I always recommend Python :-)
Python has XML support (there is an XML SIG, and an XML parser is distributed
with the standard installation), but I don't know how mature it is. There is
also a curses module, which is what you want for a full screen UI on a text
terminal.

http://www.python.org

--
Ben Caradoc-Davies <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

From: "malford" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: redirect stdout??
Date: Fri, 5 May 2000 21:17:51 -0500

I would like to be able to access a shell on one machine via a terminal
emulator on another, With both machines connected via their serial ports.
What is the simplest way to do this( that is, set up the first machine)?

------------------------------

From: Markus Kossmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: WANTED libg++-XXX
Date: Fri, 05 May 2000 20:56:58 +0200

Benoît Smith wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> All my feeblest apologies if this question sounds stupid to you, but I
> am a Linux close-to-newbie.
>
> I recently downloaded GCC 2.95.2, but when I looked into the contents of
> the tarball, I didn't find any directory related to the libg++-???
> libraries. Could I have missed something, or do I really have to seek
> those libs elsewhere ?
>
> BTW, are the latest libg++-??? libs compliant with the 2.7.2 version ?
AFAIK the lastest release of libg++ is libg++-2.8.1.3 And the README
says :

This is a libg++ addon for current egcs releases (e.g. egcs-1.1)
and libstdc++ 2.8.1.1.  It is needed only if your applications depend on
libg++ and you cannot easily remove the dependency on libg++.
The standalone libg++ is no longer needed.  Note that this package
is no longer being maintained.
[Installation Notes ...]
libg++-2.8.x is collaborative work of various people, most notably
H.J. Lu and Manfred Hollstein; because libg++ is no longer being
actively
maintained you should not start new C++ projects using libg++.

This is the last release before a probably major rewrite.

--
Markus Kossmann
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Patrick M Geahan<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Doc for icqlib?
Date: 6 May 2000 04:08:58 GMT

I'm interested in using icqlib for a project I've been working on.
Packages download and install OK, but I'm having problem finding any
documentation as to how to use.  I tried puzzling it out, but I'm obviously
doing something wrong, as it doesn't work.

Can anyone point me to docs or tutorials?  ANy help appreciated.  Thanks.

--

=======Patrick M [EMAIL PROTECTED]=======ICQ:3784715==========
Quote of the Week: "'Do you want to take a look at my regular expressions

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: X Window Applications
Date: Sat, 06 May 2000 14:56:25 +1000

I am interested in writing a software developement kit for X Window System. I have
noticed that
a lot of X Windows apps always come up not using the full screen or using a window
bigger
than the screen. Is there a way to find out how big the screen is and then make your
app come
up using the whole screen? I program in plain C++.

David Findlay

CEO
Davsoft(Australia)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John McKown)
Subject: Re: redirect stdout??
Date: Fri, 5 May 2000 23:31:17 -0500

On Fri, 5 May 2000 21:17:51 -0500, malford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I would like to be able to access a shell on one machine via a terminal
>emulator on another, With both machines connected via their serial ports.
>What is the simplest way to do this( that is, set up the first machine)?

Make sure that you are using a "null modem" or "crossover" cable to connect
the two serial ports. Make sure that both serial ports are using the
same bit rate (often called baud rate), number of start and stop bit, and
parity. Run a terminal emulator on the "client" machine (minicom or seyon for
Linux, hyperterminal or ??? on Windows). Make sure that the "host" machine's
serial port is running mgetty or uugetty or one of the other ...getty (but
not mingetty!). You can do this last by updating the "/etc/inittab" file
to include a line similiar to:

S1:2345:respawn:/sbin/uugetty ttyS1 115200

ttyS1 corresponds to COM2: in the MS-DOS/Windows world. The 115200 is the
speed (baud rate). Look at the man page for uugetty for more information.
It's been a long time since I've tried this!

John

------------------------------

From: Matthias Kempa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Telnet-like application
Date: Sat, 06 May 2000 10:27:46 +0200

Hi,

I made an application with the help of Qt 1.44 library.
Now I want to add some functions to connect to another
server via telnet. Is there somewhere a good documentation
so that I can find out, how to get connected?

Thanks

Matthias

------------------------------

From: "smylie" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Need to find my IP address
Date: Sat, 6 May 2000 22:39:31 +1200

The only way i've been able to do it so far is by calling system("ifconfig
ppp0"), and then parsing the result to get the ip. This however strikes me
as a particularly inelegant and round-about solution.
there must be a better way.
any ideas anyone?

smylie
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

____

____

------------------------------

From: Jim Kempton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: programmer/consutant wanted
Date: Sat, 06 May 2000 12:09:14 +0100

Hi all

I need a freelance programmer to begin a big project.  Preferrably have
lots of C++ knowledge and ability.  Not prepared to discuss details on
list, but it's a big company - not mine - and will involve a financial
system backending a database ordering system.  It will run on a Linux
server.  The cost will easily get to the high four figures.  This is not
speculative this is real!  Will involve travel to the north of the UK
periodically.

Mail me off list or phone during office hours blah blah.

regards

Jim Kempton
--
MJK Systems
IT Consultants/IT Training/E-Commerce Systems

------------------------------

From: Leander Seige <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: optimizer & pgcc
Date: Sat, 06 May 2000 15:16:13 +0100

Hallo,

> The gcc 2.96 development snapshots provide good PII optimizations. See
> www.codesourcery.com/gcc-compile.html
> for a "web-compiler", usable for very small programs.
> This way you don't need to go through the trouble of getting and compiling
> a gcc-snapshot.
>
> Of course you'll need to play with the compiler flags.
> (-O99 -march=pentiumpro -fomit-frame-pointer -funroll-all-loops -f... ?)

thanks a lot! i tried the web compiler but this executable is a bit slower
than my one. i will read the docs for the web compiler. i used the
-march=pentiumpro but for PII optimizations i should use a kind of
-march=pii or?
i was searching for different compilers and i'm wondereing that e.g. tucows
has this one not listed.

thanks,
leander

------------------------------

From: "Shankar K E" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.programmer,comp.unix.questions
Subject: Re: Help with archives
Date: Sat, 6 May 2000 19:18:35 -0500

I think it should be possible.

I tried it in hpux.

How I did it.

CC -c 1.c

ar r 1.a 1.o

CC -c 2.c

ar r 2.a 2.o

ar r 12.a 1.a 2.a

ar t 12.a

1.a
2.a

cat 12.a

contains all the contents.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Pierre Endrizzi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: linking pbm with libc5
Date: Sat, 06 May 2000 07:41:53 -0700

Hi,

I have to replace the glib2 by the libc5 to compile programs
under the mdk7 for an old linux plateform.

I install under mdk7 the rpm libc5
I do a ldconfig (it take the new packages, I saw it with
ldconfig -v)
and then I try to compile a simple program with :
gcc prgm.c -nostdinc -I/usr/i486-linux-libc5/include -o prgm

it precompiles the .c (printing warnings)
but after there is pbm with the linking :

"
/usr/bin/ld; cannot open crt1.o: no such files or directory
collect2 : ld returned 1 exit status
"

what can I do with ld to make it run ??

* Sent from AltaVista http://www.altavista.com Where you can also find related Web
Pages, Images, Audios, Videos, News, and Shopping.  Smart is Beautiful

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tobias Anderberg)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Sat, 6 May 2000 17:51:38 +0200

Doug Schulz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I have a sockets program an need to find the IP address of the machine
>the program is being run from so I can bind the socket to the correct

This function fetches the IP associated with eth0:

static char *
get_ip(void)
{
        int fd;
        struct ifreq i;

        fd = socket(AF_INET, SOCK_DGRAM, 0);
        strncpy(i.ifr_name, "eth0", 5);
        ioctl(fd, SIOCGIFADDR, (int) &i);
        close(fd);

        return (char *)inet_ntoa(((struct sockaddr_in *)
                &i.ifr_addr)->sin_addr);
}

/tobias
--
"There's no trick to it, it's just a simple trick!"
                        - Goodman, The Simpsons

------------------------------

From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Beno=EEt?= Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Trouble with installing C++ compiler
Date: Sat, 06 May 2000 18:02:51 +0200

Greetings,

I recently installed GCC 2.95.2 on a Celeron 400, by the following commands:

     #<src_dir>/configure --target=i686-pc-linux-gnu --enable-shared \

     --with-gnu-ld --with-gnu-a --enable-languages=c,c++

     #make bootstrap

     #make install

There was no major incident (only some unsignificant warnings), & all this created

an executable 'i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc' in /usr/local/bin.

The trouble is : with the option --enable-languages=c,c++ at the configuration,

I thought I could create a C++ compiler. But I only get the GCC; no G++ or

something else.

My (possible stupid, all my apologies if they are) question are as follows:

- Is the final GCC ('i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc') a C-C++ compiler ?

- If it is, how to redirect the compilation of C++ programs from G++ to GCC ?

- If not, how to build a C++ compiler ?

Any help would be appreciated.

--
Benoît Smith
Just a Rhyme Without a Reason

------------------------------

From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Beno=EEt?= Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 06 May 2000 18:05:25 +0200

Markus Kossmann wrote:

> AFAIK the lastest release of libg++ is libg++-2.8.1.3 And the README
> says :
>
> This is a libg++ addon for current egcs releases (e.g. egcs-1.1)
> and libstdc++ 2.8.1.1.  It is needed only if your applications depend on
> libg++ and you cannot easily remove the dependency on libg++.
> The standalone libg++ is no longer needed.  Note that this package
> is no longer being maintained.
> [Installation Notes ...]
> libg++-2.8.x is collaborative work of various people, most notably
> H.J. Lu and Manfred Hollstein; because libg++ is no longer being
> actively
> maintained you should not start new C++ projects using libg++.
>
> This is the last release before a probably major rewrite.

egcs-1.1 ? How can it be that I have the 2.91.66 version ?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John McKown)
Subject: Re: X Window Applications
Date: Sat, 6 May 2000 06:26:38 -0500

On Sat, 06 May 2000 14:56:25 +1000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
]>I am interested in writing a software developement kit for X Window System. I
] have noticed that
]>a lot of X Windows apps always come up not using the full screen or using a
]window bigger
]>than the screen. Is there a way to find out how big the screen is and then
]make your app come
]>up using the whole screen? I program in plain C++.
]>
]>David Findlay
]>
]>CEO
]>Davsoft(Australia)

First, I suggest getting all the X manuals. I'm looking at them and there is
a ton of information. X looks to be pretty hairy. Especially if you don't use
a toolkit such as Motif, Qt, GTK, et. al.

I know that it is possible, because the xdpyinfo program does it. Not knowing
which, if any, toolkit you might be using, I decided to look things up in
the "Xlib Reference Manual". Xlib is the basis for all the X interfaces. Well,
there's "DisplayHeight(display, scr_num)" it says: "Return the height in pixels
of the screen.". Similiarly there is "DisplayWidth(display, scr_num)".
Alternatives are "HeightOfScreen(scr_ptr)" and "WidthOfScreen(scr_ptr)". Now,
I'm not really very X literate, I'm just reading from the book right now.
The book says that these are equivalent, but just take different arguments.

Well, I just happen to have the "GTK+/Gnome Application Development" manual.
If you're running Gnome, you can use the "gdk_screen_width()" call to get
the pixel width of the screen. Likewise "gdk_screen_height()" to get the
height in pixels.

Again, if you are going to do any serious X programming, GET THE BOOKS! From
what I can see, it is easily as difficult as doing "raw" programming with
Microsoft Windows.

John

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.lang.java.programmer
Subject: Is JavaServer Pages alive in Linux?
Date: Sun, 07 May 2000 02:25:48 +0800

Hi, I'm a student attempting to use JSP in Linux but i notice few
questions in linux newsgroup on JSP. I would appreciate it if anyone had
used JSP in Linux and could share their experiences with me, good and
bad.

Also in particular, which free JSP implementations should i use

1) GNU ServerPages by bitmechanic, or
2) GNU JavaServer Pages by klomp

Thank you very much.

Regards
Funky

P.S. - remove CAP words in address to correspond

------------------------------

From: Bart Oldeman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 6 May 2000 19:07:54 GMT

On Sat, 6 May 2000, Leander Seige wrote:

> > The gcc 2.96 development snapshots provide good PII optimizations. See
> > www.codesourcery.com/gcc-compile.html
> > for a "web-compiler", usable for very small programs.
> > This way you don't need to go through the trouble of getting and compiling
> > a gcc-snapshot.
> >
> > Of course you'll need to play with the compiler flags.
> > (-O99 -march=pentiumpro -fomit-frame-pointer -funroll-all-loops -f... ?)
>
> thanks a lot! i tried the web compiler but this executable is a bit slower
> than my one. i will read the docs for the web compiler. i used the
> -march=pentiumpro but for PII optimizations i should use a kind of
> -march=pii or?
> i was searching for different compilers and i'm wondereing that e.g. tucows
> has this one not listed.

Well, it's just the next version of gcc and not ready for general use
yet. Check out www.codesourcery.com and gcc.gnu.org for more information.

E.g. about the optimization:

June 15, 1999
Cygnus Solutions has donated a major rewrite of the Intel IA-32 back
end, focusing on better optimization for the Pentium II. (Note that this
will not be included in gcc 2.95.)

September 2, 1999
    Richard Henderson has finished merging the ia32 backend rewrite into
the mainline GCC sources. The rewrite is designed to improve optimization
opportunities for the
    Pentium II target, but also provides a cleaner way to optimize for the
Pentium III, AMD-K7 and other high end ia32 targets as they appear.

I don't know about "-march=pentiumii" (for instance to include MMX
instructions), but you could ask at one of the gcc mailing lists or
download the development snapshot RPM from www.codesourcery.com and check
out its documentation, info pages, etc.

Bart

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can send mail to the entire list (and comp.os.linux.development.apps) via:

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

End of Linux-Development-Apps Digest