  Re: #include <linux/sched.h>

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Victor Wagner)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.development,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Need ideas for university funded project for linux
Date: 18 May 2000 09:50:55 +0400

In comp.os.linux.misc [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
: Mongoose <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

:>   I was thinking, maybe not just servers and stuff, but an application
:> that windows users have but linux doesn't. Something that would give
:> windows users more of an incentive to move to linux, or help them
:> migrate to linux.

: The way I see it, Linux needs the following, at minimum, before it can
: be a legitimate competitor to Windows:

: 1. A streamlined, easy install process;

Disagree. System should be installed by competent techinicans in
computer shops. Windows is not any more easy to install than say
Mandrake 7.0, only user do it much more frequently, so get used to it.

: 2. An office suite roughly as functional as Office, and at least as
:    easy to use;

But based on quite diferent ideas - it shouldn't be so bloated and
should have ability to use its components in scripts, and add own
components written as simple scripts or C programs to common GUI.

: 3. A GUI package installation mechanism that's as easy to use as
:    InstallShield (trivial if we get a file manager for GNOME or KDE); and

Whats wrong with capt?

: 4. A GUI interface to the most common configuration files.

Never, never, never let user who doesn't understand things tweak the
config files. For such users remote sysadmin service via SSH should be
provided.

: In order to beat Windows, client-side, we need:

: 1. A GUI interface to *all* configuration files;
I've expressed my opinion above. I'd prefer something like expert system
- somethig which allows to ask question on natural language, and answer
  with extracts of man and howto. NO GUI - interface just like micq, but
  much more interactivity than stupid office equipment in MS Office
  2000.

: 2. Integration of all Linux documentation into a centralized,
:    searchable help center;
Whats wrong with dwww?
: 3. A DirectX-like platform for hardware-accelerated devices, not
:    necessarily at the kernel level;
Whats wrong with OpenGL?
: 4. Abstraction of many protocols and features, ala ODBC (which I hate
:    because it never works, not because it's a bad idea); and
Whats wrong with
1. ODBC?
2. DBI/DBD?

: 4. A "killer app."  Unfortately, the odds of this being in the office
:    suite are about zero, as MS has far too much of an edge on this
:    front.  The GIMP, with a few unique features, may have the
:    potential to get there.
Given Adobe PhotoShop for Linux coming in half a year?
No, if apache is not killer app, you'll have to invent totally new way
of using computers.

But I can give you an idea - some canvas which can be used just is
people use a piece of page - write text, write formulas (and they will
be calculated), draw graphs (and they will be aproximated by formula),
draw arbitrary drawing, and replace hand-drawn objects with exact
gometry shape if desired.

and all the thing could be converted to well-enough printable form (no
better quality than Word gives) with few mouse clicks.

Most people would say, hey, this is Word, Excel and MathCad in one
window, becouse they don't really need neither Word, nor Excel, nor
MathCad - they need to write simple text, compute simple expressions and
draw simple graphs. Now MS give them feature-bloated programs, most of
features of which they never learn, but they consume their hard disk
space but no professional would use them becouse of poor output quality,
and OpenSource gives them Lisp and TeX and Emacs, which require
considerable learning to do anything at all, although if you spend
enough time learning, you get quality output.

: Linux has survived largely because its only real competitor,
: reliability- and performance-wise, was NT, which few "regular" people
: liked because it runs about as many Windows programs as Linux.  But
: with Windows 2000 out, suddenly the "mainstream" Windows is comparably
: stable and feature-laden.  I think that, unless Linux starts playing
: catch-up in a big way, we're going to be relegated to the niche market
: we've been, until recently, exclusively a part of.

: I suppose that now I'm going to have to get Linux running again so I
: can put my programming hours where my mouth is.  (Reason I'm not using
: it now?  The fucking Aureal Vortex 2 drivers are (a) non-free; and (b)
: unusably poor.)

: --
: Eric P. McCoy ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

: non-combatant, n.  A dead Quaker.
:         - Ambrose Bierce, _The Devil's Dictionary_

--
Даже созвездия не являются свободными ассоциациями звезд.
                                --- С.Е. Лец

------------------------------

From: "Robert L." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: Why no defrag?
Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 00:54:38 GMT

"Harald Finster" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> a Иcrit dans le message news:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Frank wrote:
> >
> > Miquel van Smoorenburg <8g0kf3$mbv$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
> > ^
> > ^ Still someone wrote one. It's called e2defrag. There are at least
> > ^ redhat and debian packages for it. I've never used it since there is
> > ^ no need for it, but it does exist.
> > ^
> >
> > I suppose anyone can write one:
> >
> > int main(void)
> > {
> >         fprintf(stdout, "Defragmenting drives... ");
> >         sleep(900);
> >         fprintf(stdout, "done\n");
> >         return(0);
> > }
>

> No, no, absolutely insufficient:
> You should at least add a few read/write operations causing
> head-movements, so that the user has the impression, that
> defrag is heavily working :-)
>
> Harald
>
> --
> Harald Finster
> -
> Windoze can be used on the North-Pole without any problems,
> ... because a frozen computer can't freeze

int main()
{
    printf("Starting the defrag");
    system("find / > /tmp/find");/* maybe 2-3 time */
    printf("Defrag is finish");
    return 0;
}

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David T. Blake)
Crossposted-To:
Date: 19 May 2000 00:09:24 GMT

Steve <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Basically, a simple editor that doesn't need a 300-page tutorial.
> >I can't find any of those in linux. Not for console anyway.
>
> I'd second this, even Nedit doesn't fit the bill, what we want is just
> Pico with the ability to copy and paste and cut with shift and arrow
> keys, and F keys to do simple things like save, save as and exit etc.

Try microemacs and redefine the function keys to be
the functions you want.

http://www.keck.ucsf.edu/~dblake/programs/

89k binary

However, I would recommend learning the readline key bindings
anyway. They are ubiquitious in linux/Unix systems.

--
Dave Blake
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ste Carlson)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help;,comp.os.linux.misc;
Subject: cvs server: cannot open /root/.cvsignore: Permission denied
Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 01:52:42 GMT

I know this is off topic, so please forgive me as I couldn't find any
CVS related newsgroups.

I've set up a CVS repository and am having trouble accessing it
remotely...

I can access it locally, using either my account or the root account.
I can access it remotely using the root account. But, if I try to
access it remotely using *my* account, I get the following error
message:

     cvs server: cannot open /root/.cvsignore: Permission denied
     cvs [server aborted]: can't chdir(/root): Permission denied

I've searched the web and is seems this is a frequent problem, but the
only proposed solution I could find:
     (http://controls.ae.gatech.edu/labs/gtar/notes/index.html)
...didn't work!

Can anyone *please* shed some light onto this issue...

Thanks,
   Ste.

------------------------------

From: Doug Alcorn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 03:00:25 GMT

Prasanth Kumar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Doug Alcorn wrote:

> > >       It's 'kinda' free. It's still owned by Trolltech.
> >
> > OK, I stand corrected.  I really don't think their license is as free
> > as other licenses (although the Open Source Group.  With that said,
> > the ownership of the code as little to do with its freedom.  The
> > freedom is all in the license.  Ghostscript is a good example of free
> > software that is exclusively owned by Aladin Software.
>
> Can you elaborate in what way the QPL is less free than the GPL?

I thought I did elaborate.  My next paragraph talked about the
limitations of TrollTech being the only one who can distribute derived
works.  Or rather, your derived works must be distributed through
trolltech.
--
 (__)  Doug Alcorn (mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] - http://www.lathi.net)
 oo /  Win a 66MB capacity tape drive. Help me win too!

------------------------------

From: Pierre Sarrazin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linking a program with libstdc++-libc6
Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 03:15:01 GMT

I am developping a C++ application for GNU/Linux systems. The machine
on which I compile is a RedHat 6.2 (i386) system. I have compiled and
installed g++ 2.95.2 myself (under /usr/local).

My program is dynamically linked with the standard C++ library,
which is in /usr/local/lib/libstdc++-libc6.1-2.so.3.

When I install and run this program on another RedHat 6.2 system,
I get the following error message from the loader:

    prog: error in loading shared libraries:
    libstdc++-libc6.1-2.so.3: cannot open shared object file:
    No such file or directory

On this "test" machine, the command 'locate libstdc++' returns this:

    /usr/i486-linux-libc5/lib/libstdc++.so.27.1.4
    /usr/i486-linux-libc5/lib/libstdc++.so.27
    /usr/lib/libstdc++-libc6.1-1.so.2
    /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.2.7.2.8
    /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.2.7.2
    /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.2.8.0
    /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.2.8
    /usr/lib/libstdc++-2-libc6.1-1-2.9.0.so
    /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.2.9.dummy
    /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.2.9
    /usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/i586-pc-linux-gnu/2.95.2/libstdc++.a
    /usr/local/lib/libstdc++.a.2.10.0

It seems like /usr/lib/libstdc++-libc6.1-1.so.2 should satisfy
my program.

How do I link my program so that it tolerates small variations
in the version number of the libstdc++ and/or libstdc++-libc6
libraries present on any user's Linux installation?

--
Pierre Sarrazin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [Remove .nospam]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Grant Edwards)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: serial port RTS control ?
Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 03:18:05 GMT

On Thu, 18 May 2000 23:57:48 +0200, Fred <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> This will not work as expected, since the second ioctl() does not wait
>> until all data is send. In fact, the entire "Hello World\n" and even
>> much more, will fit into the device output queue. So you probably
>> will have a little spike on RTS and the data wil be shifted out of TxD
>> after that spike, when RTS is inactive. :-(
>
>I guess there is no function to flush the data before to clear RTS ?

Not in a manner useful to this discussion.  The drain ioctl()
call only waits until the last of the data has been written to
the UART.

>> You have to do some waiting prior to releasing RTS. Waiting for the
>> output Queu to empty is not that hard, especially for kernel level
>> code. The next step is to wait for the internal FIFO of the UART to
>> become empty and after that, (now the last character is in the output
>> shift register), you still have to wait until the stop bit is output
>> on TxD. For this last delay, I had to use polling, and this is ugly.

And on some UARTs the shift register empty status bit goes true
before the stop bit is sent.

>humm, it's what I guess :-(
>
>> OTOH, you cannot just use sleep, since very often, those systems do
>> not have anything like carrier or collision detection.
>
>Except that I am the only master on this line... so perhaps can I do a
>sleep() though

If you sleep too long, the slave will start to transmit before
you shut off RTS, and you'll miss the start of the slave's reply.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  I'm GLAD I
                                  at               remembered to XEROX all

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 03:41:59 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Victor Wagner) writes:

> : 1. A streamlined, easy install process;

> Disagree. System should be installed by competent techinicans in
> computer shops. Windows is not any more easy to install than say
> Mandrake 7.0, only user do it much more frequently, so get used to it.

Never installed Mandrake, so I can't speak on this.  Perhaps the
problem has already been solved.

> : 2. An office suite roughly as functional as Office, and at least as
> :    easy to use;

> But based on quite diferent ideas - it shouldn't be so bloated and
> should have ability to use its components in scripts, and add own
> components written as simple scripts or C programs to common GUI.

I'll go along with that.  It definitely shouldn't be the *same* as
Office - you should just be able to do the same things with it as you
would with the MS correspondent.

> : 3. A GUI package installation mechanism that's as easy to use as
> :    InstallShield (trivial if we get a file manager for GNOME or KDE); and

> Whats wrong with capt?

The fact that I've never heard of it?  I'm guessing it's apt-based;
the only apt GUI I've used is gnome-apt.  It'll be nice when someone
puts some time into it.

> : 4. A GUI interface to the most common configuration files.

> Never, never, never let user who doesn't understand things tweak the
> config files. For such users remote sysadmin service via SSH should be
> provided.

Huh?

Are you suggesting we start up a Centralized Linux Administration
Bureau or something?  And remember that not all computers are on a
network, and very few of them are on one all the time.

> : 1. A GUI interface to *all* configuration files;
> I've expressed my opinion above. I'd prefer something like expert system
> - somethig which allows to ask question on natural language, and answer
>   with extracts of man and howto. NO GUI - interface just like micq, but
>   much more interactivity than stupid office equipment in MS Office
>   2000.

I prefer CLI for most purposes, but nobody outside of our little
hacker niche will use Linux unless there's a usable GUI.

> : 2. Integration of all Linux documentation into a centralized,
> :    searchable help center;

> Whats wrong with dwww?

Again, never heard of it.

Does it have *all* Linux documentation?  Man pages, info pages, PS
files, HTML files, all integrated into a single common format and UI?

> : 3. A DirectX-like platform for hardware-accelerated devices, not
> :    necessarily at the kernel level;

> Whats wrong with OpenGL?

The fact that it's not hardware-accelerated?  Perhaps this will go
away as of XF86 4.0, but audio can also be hardware-accelerated.
Sound support on Linux is abysmal at best.

> : 4. Abstraction of many protocols and features, ala ODBC (which I hate
> :    because it never works, not because it's a bad idea); and

> Whats wrong with
> 1. ODBC?

Is there ODBC for Linux?

> 2. DBI/DBD?

Never heard of them.

> : 4. A "killer app."  Unfortately, the odds of this being in the office
> :    suite are about zero, as MS has far too much of an edge on this
> :    front.  The GIMP, with a few unique features, may have the
> :    potential to get there.

> Given Adobe PhotoShop for Linux coming in half a year?

Will it be free?

> No, if apache is not killer app, you'll have to invent totally new way
> of using computers.

Apache isn't a killer app.  The reason is that only webmasters use web
servers.  A killer app is something that most computer users will find
useful.

You might've noticed that a lot of my answers are "Never heard of it."
That's a problem too.  There are just too many Linux programs, many of
which do the same or similar things.

From: validus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.programmer
Subject: Re: ** qsort question **
Date: 19 May 2000 02:50:10 GMT

I was thinking more along the lines of having one compare function for
string types which would work with any string field or one compare
function for all integer fields, etc.  I was thinking/hoping you could
make the change in the call to qsort so you didn't need so many different
compare functions but you guys answered my question.  Don't know why I
didn't think of that myself.  Caffeine depravation I suppose :)

cheers,

validus

------------------------------

From: <Gonzales>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.software-eng,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: #include <linux/sched.h>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 23:04:13 -0500

You have to rebuild the kernel or something like that. I had the same
problem when I was trying to build a kernel module that I made. So then I
tried to rebuild the kernel. You just might have to do a

make dep

if this doesn't work try building the whole thing.

to get the file <linux/autoconf.h>

"Martin Alt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Hi,
>
> Maybe I am only blind but I only want to
>     #include <linux/sched.h>
> to use the
>     request_irq(0x04, &ser_int, 0, "serial", NULL);
> command and get only these error messages:
>
> bash-2.03# gcc -O -o ser sertest.c
> In file included from /usr/include/linux/fs.h:9,
>                  from /usr/include/linux/capability.h:13,
>                  from /usr/include/linux/binfmts.h:5,
>                  from /usr/include/linux/sched.h:8,
>                  from sertest.c:10:
> /usr/include/linux/config.h:4: linux/autoconf.h: No such file or
> directory
>
> Does anybody knows this problem or thas an idee?
> Regards
> Martin

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can send mail to the entire list (and comp.os.linux.development.apps) via:

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

End of Linux-Development-Apps Digest