Linux-Development-Apps Digest #644, Volume #6    Tue, 23 May 00 12:13:09 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Oracle 8i CDROM license (David Steuber)
  Re: shutdown -r now (David Steuber)
  Is there a 3270 emulator available? ("Peet Grobler")
  Re: Is there a 3270 emulator available? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Where is __ucmpdi2 ? (Kai =?iso-8859-1?Q?Hergenr=F6ther?=)
  Re: Need ideas for university funded project for linux (Johan Kullstam)
  RPC ("said elmallouki")
  pipe_size limited to 4096 byte (wog)
  Re: C++ stringstreams. (Carlos Moreno)
  Re: Help with IP's and Aliases (Carlos Moreno)
  Re: Sending "enter". (Amir Hardon)
  Re: RPC (Zoran Cutura)
  Killing process and scheduling jobs for CPU... (Trung Mai)
  Re: Need ideas for university funded project for linux (Someone)
  Re: How to find path to a shared module ("Jeff Ostrin")
  Re: Help with IP's and Aliases (David Weis)
  Re: BASIC GUI for Linux? (Hawke)
  Re: Kdevelop Installation Problem (Hawke)
  Re: Need ideas for university funded project for linux (Leslie Mikesell)

Crossposted-To: comp.databases.oracle.misc
Subject: Re: Oracle 8i CDROM license
From: David Steuber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 09:59:58 GMT

James Chappell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

' Just tell them the speed (and number) of processors in the box. They
' apply some complicated formula that determines the number of concurrent
' users the box will support.

Sybase has a much simpler licensing scheme.  The take all the money
you got and then grab you by the ankles to shake out any loose change
you may have forgotten about.  At least, that is what a project
manager at my last job told me.

--
David Steuber   |   Hi!  My name is David Steuber, and I am
NRA Member      |   a hoploholic.

All bits are significant.  Some bits are more significant than others.
        -- Charles Babbage Orwell

------------------------------

Subject: Re: shutdown -r now
From: David Steuber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 09:59:57 GMT

"Sake" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

' Hi,
'
' I compiled a single floppy ramdisk only system for my K6 machine out of the
' RH6.0. Everything works fine except the following:
'
' When I issued the "shutdown -r now" command, I got "You don't exist. Go
' away"
' message. and of couse the command doesn't reboot my machine. The machine is
' set
' to run level 2 and no getty nor login are involved. The ini calls /bin/ash
' directly.
'
' Did I miss something ? PLEASE HELP !!

If I told you once, I told you a thousand times.  YOU DON'T EXIST!  GO
AWAY!

do a less on /sbin/shutdown.  There are some other amusing strings in
there.  Don't know how you got the one you got.  I don't feel like
finding the source and looking for it.

From: "Peet Grobler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.unix.admin,comp.unix.misc,comp.unix.questions
Subject: Is there a 3270 emulator available?
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 12:09:49 +0200

Is there a free (opensource?) 3270 Terminal Emulator available anywhere?

Preferably one running in console, like telnet. Also, one for X won't bother
too much, just that X isn't working right now.

Please let me know.
Peet

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.unix.admin,comp.unix.misc,comp.unix.questions
Subject: Re: Is there a 3270 emulator available?
Date: 23 May 2000 10:27:21 GMT

In comp.unix.admin Peet Grobler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Is there a free (opensource?) 3270 Terminal Emulator available anywhere?

How about x3270
ftp://crl.dec.com/pub/X11/contrib/applications/
ftp://ftp.eu.net/X11/contrib/applications/
is two sites that should have.

x3270 is included in the "ports" tree in freebsd, and yes i have
used it. It works.

At least 2 terminal based 3270/telnet emulators is also 'out there'
i might have a copy at home.

> Preferably one running in console, like telnet. Also, one for X won't bother
> too much, just that X isn't working right now.

> Please let me know.
> Peet

Peter Håkanson
        Manet Networking      (At the Riverside of Gothenburg, home of Volvo)
echo "peter (at) ipsec (dot) nu" | sed "s/(at)/@/g " | sed "s/(dot)/\./g"|sed "s/ //g"

------------------------------

From: Kai =?iso-8859-1?Q?Hergenr=F6ther?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Where is __ucmpdi2 ?
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 12:34:56 +0200

Hello

        I have to access native code from a Java application using JNI. This
native code is dependent on the SGI IRIS Performer libraries. When the
Java app starts up and loads my .so file it apparently follows these
dependencies - but then it throws an UnsatisfiedLinkError failing to
resolve __ucmpdi2 (while working on libpr.so, it seems). I have used nm
extensively on the libraries in /usr/lib but I haven't found the place
where this symbol is implemented. Has anybody heard of this symbol and
can tell me where to find it?

        I'm using egcs 2.91.66.

        Thank you very much.

                        Kai

-- =

=3D=3D Kai Hergenr=F6ther                                      =

=3D=3D [EMAIL PROTECTED]  /  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
=3D=3D URL =3D http://www.student.uni-kl.de/~hergen
=3D=3D q.e.d.                                            - DFKI -

------------------------------

Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.development,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Need ideas for university funded project for linux
From: Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 12:04:16 GMT

David Steuber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> "Anthony W. Youngman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> ' Every time I've tried to install an RH rpm on SuSE, it's given me
> ' dependency nightmares. SuSE use a different rpm naming convention, and
> ' apparently that's the cause :-(
>
> R otten
> P ackage
> M anagement
>
> Then again, InstallSheild, possibly the best installer in Windows
> land, is even worse.  Go figure.
>
> Do people really have trouble with ./configure, make, make install?
> It has _never_ been a problem for me.  Maybe I am just lucky.  Even
> though I changed my compiler, libc, and libtools.

the problem isn't with the install, it's when you go to remove or
upgrade.  sometimes it's hard (or at least tedious) to figure out what
all things went where.  then when you find a random file, you wonder
where it came from.  rpm doesn't really solve the shared config
tweaks very well (like editing an init script to set something up
while leaving setup for other stuff).  rpm is clunky and sometimes a
pain in the ass, but it's not completely useless to me.

--
J o h a n  K u l l s t a m
[[EMAIL PROTECTED]]

------------------------------

From: "said elmallouki" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RPC
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 14:21:37 +0200

Hi there,

can anyone tell me where i can find the source of a chat system, implemented
by using RPC ??
Or perhaps any other sourcecode of rpc programs to better unserstand how it
works ??

thanks in advance .

SAID

P.S.: I plan to use onc's rpc with rpcgen.

------------------------------

From: wog <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: pipe_size limited to 4096 byte
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 14:36:23 +0200

Hello everybody,

I need to increase the size of the pipes.
the ulimit command did not work
If I want to change the value with ulimit -p 10 (for example) I get the
following message:
"bash: ulimit: cannot modify limit: wrong type of argument"

I looked in the sources but I counldn´t find a define with the initial
value.

Does somebody has an idee?

Thanks

Wolfgang

------------------------------

From: Carlos Moreno <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: C++ stringstreams.
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 09:54:17 -0400

"Thaddeus L. Olczyk" wrote:

> My version of g++ can't find the header <sstream> needed for
> the stringstream classes.
> Is this because g++ does not yet support string streams, or ismy
> compiler just dated?

As someone already pointed out, this is a known glitch in g++
(even in the latest, g++ 2.95.2).

I hear that the STLport is very close to full compliance
with the Standard C++ Library (www.stlport.org).

If you're in a rush for a quick solution on sstream, you can
download mine (it's not 100% compliant, but it does the job
for most of the common situations).

You can get it from:

http://www.mochima.com/misc/sstream

You can either place it on the system directory
(/usr/include/g++-2, or /usr/local/include/g++-3, or
wherever your iostream/fstream/*stream files are located),
or copy it with the rest of your source code and then
#include it with quotes instead of angle brackets)

Hope this helps,

Carlos
--

------------------------------

From: Carlos Moreno <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help with IP's and Aliases
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 09:58:54 -0400

Nate Eldredge wrote:

> Try sending
>
> GET http://www.mochima.com/text_file.txt HTTP/1.0
>
> i.e. send the entire URL.  That way, the server knows which virtual
> domain you want.

Hi Nate,

Thanks for your message.  Unfortunately, it didn't work either  :-(

One curious detail is the following:  If I try to do it manually,
for a test, with telnet to port 80:

[...]$ telnet www.mochima.com 80

And then I type:

GET /text_file.txt HTTP/1.0 <Enter twice>

Then I get the file.  However, if I telnet to the actual IP
address:

[...]$ telnet 199.93.70.42 80

And then type

GET /text_file.txt ...

or even:

GET http://www.mochima.com/text_file.txt ...

I get the same error message.

Any idea of why this is happening?

Thanks!

Carlos
--

 then I get an HTML stream with the "Not found message"

------------------------------

From: Amir Hardon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Sending "enter".
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 16:13:33 +0300

No.

------------------------------

From: Zoran Cutura <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RPC
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 16:05:31 +0200

said elmallouki wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> can anyone tell me where i can find the source of a chat system, implemented
> by using RPC ??
> Or perhaps any other sourcecode of rpc programs to better unserstand how it
> works ??
>
> thanks in advance .
>
> SAID
>
> P.S.: I plan to use onc's rpc with rpcgen.

NFS springs to my mind. sunsite.unc.edu will probably have it.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Trung Mai)
Subject: Killing process and scheduling jobs for CPU...
Date: 23 May 2000 14:14:57 GMT

 I'm working on these 2 task, but i did not get what i like to do:

1/ I'd to clean up user left over jobs automatically when he/she log off
the system. There is a script that place in the end of .logout file. But
it's only solve a small part because it did not clean up when user using
XWins 32 to log on . is there any way to clean up those process before
he/she logout?? it's would be nice if we can ask the user want to kill
those process or not.

2/ When i'm using re-nice to set the priority of a job, the job have the
higest priority and running fine. But there is a problem with CPU time,
i'm only getting the small amount of cpu time on the highest priority
(just re-nice) job. Is there any way that i can reschedule that job nad
also use most of my cpu time for that job??

thanks

------------------------------

From: Someone <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.development,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 10:21:52 -0400

Mr Steuber is an excellent example of my point.  In my message can't you
tell I LIKE linux, I have Linux, I have used Linux for several years.  It
is a great hobby to configure but once it is working what are you going to
use it for?  Why don't any of the free ISPs support Linux?  That would be
great.  How can I spin down my SCSI drives when they are not in use?  I've
been after that for years. Windows is no fun to install and configure, it
just basically works and you cannot really configure it.  That means it
sucks if you want to spin down your SCSI drives because you can't.  With
Linux you can do anything you want, well maybe,  maybe somebody knows how,
maybe not.  Maybe you post questions to boards and get real help, maybe
Dave answers.  I still say "Great toy, bad technology".

------------------------------

From: "Jeff Ostrin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.misc,de.comp.os.unix.linux.misc,linux.dev.c-programming
Subject: Re: How to find path to a shared module
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 08:30:25 -0700

Ah...  another module that has well defined path's is opening the module
that I am writing, and it does not provide me with the information about
where my module is located :(

news:8gbca9$203$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: David Weis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 10:30:58 -0500

On Tue, 23 May 2000, Carlos Moreno wrote:

> Nate Eldredge wrote:
> >
> > Try sending
> >
> > GET http://www.mochima.com/text_file.txt HTTP/1.0
> >
> > i.e. send the entire URL.  That way, the server knows which virtual
> > domain you want.
>
> One curious detail is the following:  If I try to do it manually,
> for a test, with telnet to port 80:

I don't see how there is any way that this could be correct. The way your
server is determining which host to use is by the Host: header. telnet
doesn't send one.

Is there a reason you need to use IP's? Perhaps try this.

telnet 199.93.70.42 80
GET /text_file.txt HTTP/1.1
Accept: */*
Host: www.mochima.com
<enter twice>

and see what you get.

> [...]$ telnet www.mochima.com 80
>
> And then I type:
>
> GET /text_file.txt HTTP/1.0 <Enter twice>
>
> Then I get the file.  However, if I telnet to the actual IP
> address:
>
> [...]$ telnet 199.93.70.42 80
>
> And then type
>
> GET /text_file.txt ...
>
> or even:
>
> GET http://www.mochima.com/text_file.txt ...
>
> I get the same error message.

david

--
David Weis                | 10520 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50322
[EMAIL PROTECTED]      | Voice 515-278-0133 Ext 231
                          | http://www.perfectionlearning.com/
When they took the Fourth Amendment, I was quiet because I didn't deal drugs.
When they took the Fifth Amendment, I was quiet because I was innocent.
When they took the Second Amendment, I was quiet because I didn't own a gun.
Now they've taken the First Amendment and I can't say anything.

------------------------------

From: Hawke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: BASIC GUI for Linux?
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 08:36:20 -0700

Nathan Gundlach wrote:

> Is there a BASIC that will allow me to create a GUI for Linux?
>
> Thanks in advance.

You could try the Tcl/TK.
It is a simple GUI interface and you can do quite a bit with it.
They even have an IDE for it (but I don't remember what it is.)
I will work on everything from just XDM through most of the major
distros of the GUI systems...
Good luck...

------------------------------

From: Hawke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Kdevelop Installation Problem
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 08:40:18 -0700

John Lazar wrote:

> When I try to install Kdevelop on my RedHat 6.1 system, it dies with
> this error:
>
> checking for rpath... yes
> checking for KDE... configure: error:
> in the prefix, you've chosen, are no KDE headers installed. This will
> fail.
> So, check this please and use another prefix!
>
> could somebody please tell me where these headers are located on my
> machine?  I assume I just need to add a link somewhere.  Thank you in
> advance
>
> John Lazar

2 quick questions.
1. Are you using KDE?
2. Did you install ALL the KDE RPM's? (i.e. the "development" packages?)
(Note:  I may be WAY off base, but answering these questions should
help...)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Leslie Mikesell)
Crossposted-To:
Date: 23 May 2000 10:58:16 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
David Steuber  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>' >For myself, if I am going to produce free software, I want it to be
>' >GPL.  I don't want my work to be used in proprietary software unless I
>' >get paid for it.
>'
>' This doesn't make a bit of sense from a user's perspective.  You
>' are saying that I can use the code only as long as it isn't linked
>' to something else that I might happen to need that is under
>' someone else's control.  I don't think the internet would exist
>' as we know it today had it not been for the reference BSD code
>' that does allow use in proprietary works as well as additional
>' free ones.
>
>It makes no difference to an end user what the source license is.

It does make a difference when it makes it impossible to use.

>The Regents of University of California, Berkley choose their
>license.  I get to choose mine.

I'm not arguing about your right to do whatever you want, I
am just saying that I don't understand what motivates you
to create a situation where I can download code, have it
on my machine and use it in any way I want, but only in
cases where I can do the linking myself.  If another needed
component is controlled by someone else with an equal
right to choose their license, I won't be able to obtain
and use the combination together.

>If you want something that makes no sense, go to an NT box and look at
>the file \\WINNT\System32\etc\SERVICES.  You will see a document from
>IANA that Microsoft has slapped their copyright on.  They didn't
>change a single character in the file.  Tell me that makes sense.

Lots of people make unenforcable claims but I don't want to take
that approach with the GPL.  It is just that sanity I question.
Unless there really is a case for keeping it from competing
with commercial licensing of the same code (like ghostscript),
why give something away with strings attached that prohibit
a lot of uses?

  Les Mikesell
   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can send mail to the entire list (and comp.os.linux.development.apps) via:

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

End of Linux-Development-Apps Digest