From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Grant Edwards)
Subject: Re: alternatives to 'xfig'?
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 20:11:06 GMT

In article <99dhvn$jql$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>i was wondering if there are any
>alternatives to 'xfig' under linux
>that will let me draw stuff?

If you're looking for an object/vector based tool like xfig,
then take a look at Sketch:

  sketch.sourceforge.net

If you're looking for bitmap stuff, then try The Gimp:

  www.gimp.org

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  ALFRED JARRY! Say
                                  at               something about th' DEATH

------------------------------

From: Chris Cox <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 20:19:02 GMT

ImPress

http://www.ntlug.org/~ccox/impress

------------------------------

From: Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.lang.java.tech,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Linux + PostgreSQL + Apache + JDBC + Tomcat JSP / Servlets:  Ready for
prime time?
Date: 22 Mar 2001 15:02:41 -0700

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine) writes:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Flacco
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  wrote
> on Thu, 22 Mar 2001 04:08:59 -0500
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> >
> >In the past, I've used NT/VB/IIS/ASP/MTS/SQLServer for web apps.  I'm a
> >recent Linux convert, and would like to look into using
> >Linux/Apache/Tomcat/JDBC/PostrgreSQL for some future projects.
>
> For clarity's sake (the equivalences are rough, and in terms of
> functionality):
>
> NT = Linux
> VB = Java
> IIS = Apache
> ASP = JSP
> MTS = ?
> SQLServer = various (PostgreSQL, mySQL, mSQL, Oracle, DB2)
> ODBC = JDBC
> ? = Jakarta/Tomcat
>
> It's not clear to me whether MTS can be folded into the SQLserver
> or not (PostgreSQL supports transactions and rollback, as do
> Oracle and DB2).  I'm also not sure what's on the MS side regarding
> Tomcat's concept of "web application".

MTS seems to be taken in by the language bindings for databse
systems.  For example, the Apache::DBH perl module allows n-to-k
connections to a DBH-enabled database (which includes most of them,
barring non-ODBC MSSQL, of course).

I'd say that ASP takes the place of JSP in Jakarta/Tomcat (in fact,
JSP is a take on ASP at least in name) and that general VB/VB Script
takes over the rest of the functions.

> > From what I see so far, I like it conceptually, but I wonder how this
> >combination performs in the real world, in terms of speed and
> >reliability, on modest hardware (say, dual P700's with 256MB).
>
> Bear in mind that a more important factor might well be the
> disk drive I/O buss as opposed to the CPUs, although it depends
> on the application.  I'm using SCSI, for example, which gives
> good performance.  Cheaper machines use IDE, although it's possible
> UDMA100 or UDMA66 might be decent; I don't know.

I'd sound a big 'NO' in that department.  IDE simply sucks rocks, no
matter which OS you use; in every fasionable meter you care to
construct.

> >I don't want to invest a lot of time in this kind of environment if
> >there are performance problems under load, if services stop running
> >unexpectedly, if ports mysteriously shut down, etc. etc.
> >
> >Has anyone worked extensively with this combination?  What were your
> >experiences?

I have used Tomcat on a few projects, and it has never unexpetedly
halted on me; the projects weren't huge by any means, only thousands
of lines of code.

I *have* had problems running it in conjunction with IIS; even Sun's
old reference implementation had problems under NT.

> >Would you recommend replacement implementations for any of the
> >components I've listed to make the environment more reliable?
> >
> >Any pointers to websites that discuss these issues?
>
> A good set of questions, admittedly; I don't know the answers, but
> suspect someone might.  Bear in mind that you're crossposting
> to comp.os.linux.advocacy and comp.lang.java.advocacy, which are
> usually more flamefestful than helpful, although some interesting
> info is occasionally gleanable here. :-)
>
> In any event, good luck on your hunt for info; watch out for
> the usual pitfalls (one of them being e.g. the now-infamous Mindcraft
> benchmark).

Beware most benchmarks, for that matter.  :)

--
It won't be long before the CPU is a card in a slot on your ATX videoboard
Craig Kelley  -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "stan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: gcc link to library not finding function -
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 17:36:20 -0500

Hi,

I'm running redhat 6.2 / glibc20 /

I am porting an application from Interactive Unix to Linux. I'm fairly new
to Unix/Linux so please forgive if
I leave off vital informatiion that may help you solve my problem.

Basicly, this one set of programs create  functions that are  put into
$HOME/fds/lib/util.a
When the following program is compiled looking for the function in the
library I get the error
called object is not a function.

In a header called ctime.h

#define CTIME_MMMDDHHMMSS 0
#define CTIME_MMMDDHHMM_ 1
#define CTIME_DHHMMSS  2
#define CTIME_DDDMMMDHHMMSSYYYN 3
#define CTIME_S__date  4
#define CTIME_DDHHMM_  5
#define CTIME_MMMDDYYYY  6
#define CTIME_LS  7
#define CTIME_DDMMYYYY  8
#define CTIME_MMDDYYYY  9
#define CTIME_DDMMMHHMMSSYYYY 10
#define CTIME_MMDDHHMMSSHHH 11

extern char * CTIME(int iCode, time_t tTime);

In a program called ctime.c

char *CTIME(int code, time_t tim)
{  register char *tptr;
   static S__Date S_Dateis;
   static int thisyear = -1,                    /* "-1" indicates that next
*/
       thismon;                          /* 7 call needs to determine
         local system date (again) */
   register struct tm *timeinfo;
   struct timeval tvVal;
   struct timezone tz;
etc etc etc .....

In the make I do

rm -f /home/stang/fds/lib/util.a
ar rs /home/stang/fds/lib/util.a  ctime.o argscan.o convert.o emitc.o
timesec.o dates.o mkdir.o getword.o fastls.o snap.o compare.o snapp.o pwd.o
move.o string.o display.o tty.o username.o atoi.o stricmp.o crc.o md5.o
snprintf.o WinProf.o

(I ran nm util.a)  in /home/stang/fds/lib/util.a

ctime.o:
00000000 T CTIME
         U DAT_TXT
00000000 b S_Dateis.2
         U ctime
         U gettimeofday
         U localtime
         U sprintf
         U strcpy
00000004 b thismon.4
00000000 d thisyear.3
         U time

In a program called check.c

int t_CTIME(void)
{  long timesecs = 492910010;
   register int i;
   register char *cptr;
   char buffer[30];

   printf ("Following lines are variations on: %s", ctime(&timesecs));
   for (i=0; i <= 9; i++)
   {  if (i != 4)
  printf("%s ", CTIME(i, timesecs));       <------- line 344
   }
   strcpy(buffer, CTIME(7, timesecs));       /* Save mode 7 ('ls -l') string
*/   <------ line 346

   cptr = CTIME(1, timesecs);                /* Mode 1
*/  <--- line 348
   *(cptr+12) = '\0';                        /* Remove trailing space
*/
   if (!strcmp(buffer, cptr))                /* If no match
*/          <--- line 351
   {  cptr = CTIME(6, timesecs);             /* Mode 6
*/
      MOVE(cptr+7, cptr+6, strlen(cptr+6));  /* needs 2 spaces before YYYY
*/
      if (!strcmp(buffer, cptr))             /* Error if no match now
*/
      {  puts("CTIME's \"ls -l\" mode (7) error");
  ERROR();
   }  }
I compile like so:

gcc  -g -static -ansi -m386 -DLINUX  -Wall -Wshadow -Wpointer-arith -Wstrict
-prototypes -DPosix -D_POSIX_SOURCE -D_XOPEN_SOURCE -DMVS -D__USE_GNU -DDumm
yLU62 -DMSTATS -DFUNCPROTO -DXTFUNCPROTO -D__EXTENSIONS__  -I/home/stang/fds
  -I/usr/include -I/home/stang/fds/inc -I/home/stang/fds/smc -I/home/stang/f
ds/user -I/home/stang/fds/util -I/home/stang/fds/map -I/usr/sys/bfax/inc
-c -o check.o check.c

the result is:

check.c: In function `t_CTIME':
check.c:344: called object is not a function
check.c:346: called object is not a function
check.c:348: called object is not a function
check.c:351: called object is not a function
check.c:358: called object is not a function
make[2]: *** [check.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/stang/fds/util'
make[1]: *** [utild] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/stang/fds'
make: *** [build] Error 2

I've rearranged the gcc line including running the gcc as a command external
to the makefile and
putting in -L/home/stang/fds/lib and -l/home/stang/fds/lib/util.a
and I always get the above result. I've even removed the library and get the
same result.
So it appears that my compile is not finding the library, util.a

I've been stuck on this for a couple of days now. Any help is appreciated
greatly.
Thanks,
Stan

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Juergen Heinzl)
Subject: Re: Could I program the system shutdown?
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 23:10:14 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Nate Eldredge wrote:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Juergen Heinzl) writes:
>
>> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Afonso Sam wrote:
>> >Could I shutdown the system by my program? Is there any Linux-api for
>> >system shutdown available? or any simple way to call KDE's system
>> >shutdown?
>> [-]
>> shutdown(2), but beware -- shutdown(8) does a bit more for you
>
>That would be reboot(2).  shutdown(2) closes sockets.
[-]
Yikes -- you're not going to believe me it was meant as a "Spot the
error excercise" ;)
[-]

Ta',
Juergen

--
\ Real name     : Juergen Heinzl                \       no flames      /
 \ EMail Private : [EMAIL PROTECTED] \ send money instead /

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Juergen Heinzl)
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 23:10:15 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Arthur H. Gold wrote:
>Juergen Heinzl wrote:
>>
>> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Afonso Sam wrote:
>> >Could I shutdown the system by my program? Is there any Linux-api for
>> >system shutdown available? or any simple way to call KDE's system
>> >shutdown?
>> [-]
>> shutdown(2), but beware -- shutdown(8) does a bit more for you
>> then just shooting down the kernel, so an explicit fork() / exec(),
>> I'd avoid system() for security reasons here, is probably the
>> right thing to do.
>I'm not sure what security problem you're referring to; if
>you give the full path for shutdown, I'm not sure I see what
>could go wrong.
[-]
Aside as pointed out by some kind soul that it's reboot(2), not
shutdown(2) (me very dumb), yes, if you pass the complete
path it's pretty secure.

Still you need to be root and you can't run it with a clean
environment. Yes, there've been security breaches by using
arcane enviroment settings in the past.

By using, for instance, execve() it's you who's complete
control over the passed environment.

>I think I'd also provide a short delay, as that way you
>could be sure that the command actually ran...and then exit
>gracefully.
>>
>> You may want to re-direct stdin and stdout to some file, too. Just
>> in case something goes wrong, although if it's an X application
>> it'd be okay of course since nothing could mess up your screen.
[-]
Easier done via fork() / exec() IMHO. Just detach the child process
from the controlling terminal by putting it into its own process group.
Once shutdown has been started sucessfully there's not much left to
do than wait anyway.

Cheers,
Juergen

Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 17:25:49 -0600
From: "Arthur H. Gold" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: gcc link to library not finding function -

stan wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm running redhat 6.2 / glibc20 /
>
> I am porting an application from Interactive Unix to Linux. I'm fairly new
> to Unix/Linux so please forgive if
> I leave off vital informatiion that may help you solve my problem.
>
> Basicly, this one set of programs create  functions that are  put into
> $HOME/fds/lib/util.a
> When the following program is compiled looking for the function in the
> library I get the error
> called object is not a function.

Put your library specification(s) at the _end_ of your
invocation of gcc for the link step, _particularly_ when
linking static libraries.

In addition, it is probably better to use the standard
naming convention for libraries (like libwhatever.a).

Your final link step should look something like:

gcc -o execuatblename -option_1 ... -option_n obj_1.o ....
obj_n.o -L<path to your library> -lwhatever

HTH,
--ag

--
Artie Gold, Austin, TX  (finger the cs.utexas.edu account
for more info)

------------------------------

From: Harry George <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 22 Mar 2001 15:34:42 -0800

Others include tgif and Dia.  Personally I use Dia:
  http://www.lysator.liu.se/~alla/dia/dia.html

--
Harry George
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Charles Lyttle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.lang.java.tech,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Linux + PostgreSQL + Apache + JDBC + Tomcat JSP / Servlets:  Ready
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 00:40:09 GMT

Flacco wrote:

> In the past, I've used NT/VB/IIS/ASP/MTS/SQLServer for web apps.  I'm a
> recent Linux convert, and would like to look into using
> Linux/Apache/Tomcat/JDBC/PostrgreSQL for some future projects.
>
>  From what I see so far, I like it conceptually, but I wonder how this
> combination performs in the real world, in terms of speed and
> reliability, on modest hardware (say, dual P700's with 256MB).
>
> I don't want to invest a lot of time in this kind of environment if
> there are performance problems under load, if services stop running
> unexpectedly, if ports mysteriously shut down, etc. etc.
>
> Has anyone worked extensively with this combination?  What were your
> experiences?
>
> Would you recommend replacement implementations for any of the
> components I've listed to make the environment more reliable?
>
> Any pointers to websites that discuss these issues?
>
> Thanks
More info is needed. How big is your data base? How many concurrent
accesses do you need to support? What are the skills of the maintainer?

Choosing database software is not a trivial task. mSQL and mySQL are
fine for small to medium sized applications, postgres fine for medium to
the lower end of large, Oracle for large to very large. Each has its
personal drawbacks. Make sure that those particular drawbacks don't
affect you.

--
Russ Lyttle
"World Domination through Penguin Power"

------------------------------

From: "Victor" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Too many open files error
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 10:12:30 +0800

Hi, all

we encountered a problem that the system always report :

"error in loading shared libraries: libxxxx.so.2: cannot open shared object
file: Error 23"
 or
"socket: Too many open files in system"

whatever I want to do. I heard this is caused by the exhaustion of the
system file descriptor.
But how can I fixed this problem?  The key point is that I can't do anything
on that machince
now!

E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "A Guler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: jdbc drivers for oracle on linux?
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 20:24:15 -0600

Hey everyone,

Anyone know where I can get oracle jdbc drivers for linux?

Thanks!

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.lang.java.tech,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 18:53:45 -0800

Flacco wrote:

> In the past, I've used NT/VB/IIS/ASP/MTS/SQLServer for web apps.  I'm a
> recent Linux convert, and would like to look into using
> Linux/Apache/Tomcat/JDBC/PostrgreSQL for some future projects.
>
>  From what I see so far, I like it conceptually, but I wonder how this
> combination performs in the real world, in terms of speed and
> reliability, on modest hardware (say, dual P700's with 256MB).

Goto http://www.tscnet.com to get an idea... This isp uses linux and
they are constantly growing and putting in more lines for capacity.
There maybe someone there that can help with certain questions also.  I
like them because they filter everybodys' e-mail for viruses before you
get the e-mail.  Keeps me from having to buy virus software.

> I don't want to invest a lot of time in this kind of environment if
> there are performance problems under load, if services stop running
> unexpectedly, if ports mysteriously shut down, etc. etc.
>
> Has anyone worked extensively with this combination?  What were your
> experiences?
>
> Would you recommend replacement implementations for any of the
> components I've listed to make the environment more reliable?
>
> Any pointers to websites that discuss these issues?
>
> Thanks

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can send mail to the entire list by posting to the
comp.os.linux.development.apps newsgroup.

End of Linux-Development-Apps Digest