From: Erik Max Francis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: compiling straight, no frills ANSI-C ??
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 18:03:51 -0800

kellyboy wrote:

> now how do I get them to work... I run the gcc again (using finish.c..
> this
> time I get this error:

Stick -lm in the command line (after your source files).

> I believe that it couldnt find some of the include file that it needed
> for
> defined referenced .

No, it's a linking error.  You need to link in the maths library.

--
 Erik Max Francis / [EMAIL PROTECTED] / http://www.alcyone.com/max/
/  \ What do women want?

------------------------------

From: "kellyboy" <kellyboy@nospanner>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 20:20:32 -0600

to Grant and Erik, I want to say thanks a lot for your *very* helpful
advice,suggestion, and tips....

I now got it compiled perfectly (expect for that warning about "Return type
of 'main' is not 'int' but that can be ignored..right?) and came out with
executable file that works as it should .

and I learned just the basic of how to compile, delete "carriage return" and
add "-lm".

thanks

kellyboy

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: "Joseph A. Knapka" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: look for a tool like VSS
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2001 04:15:42 GMT

Leo Naboro wrote:

> I know that the CVS only do version control,but i wanna a tool  which can
> do both version control and libs control..wheh i build program on my host,i
> can checkout mine data and the necessary libs.thanks

My point is that CVS does not care whether the files it controls
are source, libs, or pictures of your granny. It will handle them
just fine.

-- Joe

>                                                Leo Naboro
> "Joseph A. Knapka" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Leo Naboro wrote:
> > >
> > > goodevening every,i wanna look for a linux software which like the
> Visual
> > > Source Safe(VSS)under windows98(NT).it both manage the source codes and
> > > libs,i know that the CVS is very useful source contol.But our boss
> > > need the libs contol also...So does anyone tell me how to do it? Thanks!
> >
> > CVS is a -version control- system. You can maintain any kind of
> > file with CVS. If a file is binary, you need the "-kb" option
> > to the "cvs add" command to inform CVS that it should not attempt
> > to e.g. insert version information into the file. Also there
> > are rumored to be wonderful GUI interfaces to CVS available,
> > but I have never used them. Check out the CVS web site
> >
> > http://www.cyclic.com

-- Joe Knapka
"It was just a maddened crocodile hidden in a flower bed. It could
 have happened to anyone." -- Pratchett
// Linux MM Documentation in progress:
// http://home.earthlink.net/~jknapka/linux-mm/vmoutline.html
* Evolution is an "unproven theory" in the same sense that gravity is. *

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Grant Edwards)
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2001 04:23:02 GMT

On Sun, 25 Mar 2001 09:18:37 +0800, Leo Naboro <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I know that the CVS only do version control,but i wanna a tool  which can
>do both version control and libs control..wheh i build program on my host,i
>can checkout mine data and the necessary libs.

I don't understand what you mean by "libs control".  You're
going to have to explain what it is you want.

You can check library files (or any other sort of files) in and
out of CVS.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  I'm meditating on
                                  at               the FORMALDEHYDE and the

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Grant Edwards)
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2001 04:33:55 GMT

On Sat, 24 Mar 2001 20:20:32 -0600, kellyboy <kellyboy@nospanner> wrote:

>to Grant and Erik, I want to say thanks a lot for your *very*
>helpful advice,suggestion, and tips....

You're welcome!

>I now got it compiled perfectly (expect for that warning about
>"Return type of 'main' is not 'int' but that can be
>ignored..right?)

Probably -- until you want to use the program in a situation
where the return value of main matters.  Programs like "make"
will look at the return value if you use your program in a
makefile action line.  You'd probably be better off by changing
the declaration so that main returns an int and putting a
"return 0;" statement at the end.

>and I learned just the basic of how to compile, delete
>"carriage return" and add "-lm".

You'd think that the math stuff would be part of the "standard"
C library along with everything else. But...

Unix was traditionally a text-processing and networking
platform. People doing floating point were always looked upon
with some suspicion.  FP wasn't required to do e-mail, uucp,
and usenet.  FP used up a lot of CPU time, and people doing FP
were usually only one step from using FORTRAN.  If god had
intended computers to do FP, he wouldn't have created the
slide-rule -- not to mention the analog computer.  ;)

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  What UNIVERSE is
                                  at               this, please??

------------------------------

From: Erik Max Francis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 20:34:14 -0800

kellyboy wrote:

> I now got it compiled perfectly (expect for that warning about "Return
> type
> of 'main' is not 'int' but that can be ignored..right?) and came out
> with
> executable file that works as it should .

The proper thing to do would be to fix it.  It's undefined behavior for
a program to return void.

--
 Erik Max Francis / [EMAIL PROTECTED] / http://www.alcyone.com/max/
/  \ Think twice before you speak to a friend in need.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2001 05:18:26 GMT

"Leo Naboro" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> goodevening every,i wanna look for a linux software which like the
> Visual Source Safe(VSS)under windows98(NT).it both manage the source
> codes and libs,i know that the CVS is very useful source contol.But
> our boss need the libs contol also...So does anyone tell me how to
> do it? Thanks!

You might want to check the documentation for CVS; it is quite
possible that it is capable of doing what "control" you want to have
over libraries.

You'll have to more precisely phrase what you mean by "need the libs
contol" in order for those that don't know enough telepathy to read
your mind to know what that is supposed to mean, though.

Alternatively, it is possible that if you do a competent job of
setting up version numbers, this would represent something where the
only reason VSS would be used to control "library versions" is the
consideration that a concussed dormouse on mescaline might do a better
job of managing libraries than Microsoft evidences.
--
(reverse (concatenate 'string "gro.mca@" "enworbbc"))
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/resume.html

------------------------------

From: "John Liu" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2001 05:32:40 GMT

I think you should link the math lib using "-lm"

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Jack Klein <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: A non-blocking istream status test
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2001 06:06:07 GMT

On Sat, 24 Mar 2001 20:22:49 +0000, Daniel Barron
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
comp.lang.c++:

> Target platform is RedHat Linux 6.2 GNU C++.
>
> I'm writing code to do:
>
> someStream >> header;
>
> In the
>
> istream& operator >>(istream& s, header& h) {}
>
> I read from the s using s.read(buff, length);  The length is known, but in
> some conditions an extra 2 bytes are in the stream after the length number
> of bytes is read.
>
> How can I test the status of s in a non-blocking fasion.  I simply want to
> test if there are any more bytes to be read and to return imediately saying
> if there are or not.  All my attempts so far with peek (I think it was) etc
> block.
>
> Any ideas, pointers, example code, urls?

You can't, as far as the C++ language is concerned.  If you want to
know about operating system specific non-standard extensions, you will
need to ask in one of the programming groups with .linux in its name,
or in news:comp.unix.programmer.

--
Jack Klein
Home: http://JK-Technology.Com

------------------------------

From: Lew Pitcher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: LPT port access library
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 20:05:37 -0500

Sebastien Jacquemard wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm looking for a library to access the LPT and the Serial port under Linux.
> Do you know where can I find it ?

the open()/read()/write()/close() and/or
fopen()/fget*()/fput*()/fread()/fwrite()/fclose() stdio functions in
glibc are what you are looking for.

 #include <unistd.h>
 int fd;

 fd = open("/dev/lp0",O_WRONLY);
 write(fd,"This is a test\r\n",16);
 close(fd);

--
Lew Pitcher

Master Codewright and JOAT-in-training
Registered Linux User #112576

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Philip Armstrong)
Date: 25 Mar 2001 13:04:53 +0100

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Grant Edwards <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On Sat, 24 Mar 2001 20:20:32 -0600, kellyboy <kellyboy@nospanner> wrote:
>>and I learned just the basic of how to compile, delete
>>"carriage return" and add "-lm".
>
>You'd think that the math stuff would be part of the "standard"
>C library along with everything else. But...
>
>Unix was traditionally a text-processing and networking
>platform. People doing floating point were always looked upon
>with some suspicion.  FP wasn't required to do e-mail, uucp,
>and usenet.  FP used up a lot of CPU time, and people doing FP
>were usually only one step from using FORTRAN.  If god had
>intended computers to do FP, he wouldn't have created the
>slide-rule -- not to mention the analog computer.  ;)

:) Not to mention that under linux at least, programs that don't use
FP at all are more efficient to context switch, as the kernel doesn't
have to save the state of the FP registers. I suspect (but haven't
checed this ;) ) that linking in the math library will initialise the
FP, and thus trigger saving the state of the FP unit when that process
undergoes a context switch. So if you don't need -lm, you get better
overall system performance if you don't use it...

Phil

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Philip Armstrong)
Date: 25 Mar 2001 13:07:32 +0100

In article <Ccfv6.1547$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Alternatively, it is possible that if you do a competent job of
>setting up version numbers, this would represent something where the
>only reason VSS would be used to control "library versions" is the
>consideration that a concussed dormouse on mescaline might do a better
>job of managing libraries than Microsoft evidences.

:)

Additional explanation; what I think the above is referring to is that
libraries under linux (gnu ld actually I think) have internal
versioning, and you can link programs to specific library versions and
stuff if you so choose. MS on the other hand, has no library
versioning whatsoever, leading to the infamous dll-hell bemoaned by
many windows developers.

Phil

------------------------------

From: "Leo Naboro" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: about newlib (redhat)!
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 09:21:15 +0800

I downloaded the newlib from the redhat,but when "make ",i got the error
!why?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Goldhammer)
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.lang.java.tech,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Linux + PostgreSQL + Apache + JDBC + Tomcat JSP / Servlets:  Ready  for
prime time?
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 02:06:00 GMT

On Thu, 22 Mar 2001 07:10:51 -0500, mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Paul Colquhoun wrote:
>

>> Unless you need any of the advanced features of PostgreSQL,
>> then mSQL or MySQL would be faster.
>
>I have seen lots of benchmarks that prove that this is simply not true.
>Specifically, MySQL does a lot of table and file locking, where as Postgres
>does not. So a single query in MySQL may be slightly faster, but as number of
>concurrent queries increases, Postgres scales as well as the big boys, and
>MySQL to eat itself up with file locking.

For example:

http://apachetoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2000-08-14-008-01-PR-MR-SW

--
Don't think you are. Know you are.

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can send mail to the entire list by posting to the
comp.os.linux.development.apps newsgroup.

End of Linux-Development-Apps Digest